Exclamation My Boyfriend Wants to Move in with Me

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington
    My boyfriend wants to move in with my family and the only problem is that my mom is afraid my dad with use this as moral grounds to remove my brothers and I from our home. I want to know is there any way to make this EXTREAMLY difficult and expensive for him to do and if possible borderline impossible? (PLEASE dont make comments on my choice of my boyfriend moving in this is because his parents are abusive and he is moving out, this is an unrelated portion of the problem though)

Other info: my brothers and I are 12, 14, and 16 and at the time my boyfriend plans on moving we will be 13,15, and 17. the costody agreements are not final. and ask any other questions if it will help you answer my quesition!

Default Re: My Boyfriend Wants to Move in with Me

If mom chooses to let her child shack up with her boyfriend, dad certainly can use that as an argument for a change of custody.

And is actually fairly decent ammo for Dad to use against Mom.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting joshowers63
    View Post
    my boyfriend moving in this is because his parents are abusive and he is moving out, this is an unrelated portion of the problem though
    It might be unrelated, but it's absolutely relevent. Unless there is a court order involved, your BF's parents can demand his return at ANY time, and if your parent resists, she can be charged with a CRIME. While I understand that your mom is trying to help your BF, the LEGAL reality is that your mom isn't a foster parent, and if your BF hasn't been SENT to her care, or had her care approved by a court, then she may be helping one child at the sake of her OWN children. There are systems in place to deal with abuse, and circumventing those systems, even with the best of intentions, can turn out with very unpleasant consequences to those trying to be helpful.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting joshowers63
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington
    My boyfriend wants to move in with my family and the only problem is that my mom is afraid my dad with use this as moral grounds to remove my brothers and I from our home. I want to know is there any way to make this EXTREAMLY difficult and expensive for him to do and if possible borderline impossible? (PLEASE dont make comments on my choice of my boyfriend moving in this is because his parents are abusive and he is moving out, this is an unrelated portion of the problem though)

Other info: my brothers and I are 12, 14, and 16 and at the time my boyfriend plans on moving we will be 13,15, and 17. the costody agreements are not final. and ask any other questions if it will help you answer my quesition!

And how old are you?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    It might be unrelated, but it's absolutely relevent. Unless there is a court order involved, your BF's parents can demand his return at ANY time, and if your parent resists, she can be charged with a CRIME. While I understand that your mom is trying to help your BF, the LEGAL reality is that your mom isn't a foster parent, and if your BF hasn't been SENT to her care, or had her care approved by a court, then she may be helping one child at the sake of her OWN children. There are systems in place to deal with abuse, and circumventing those systems, even with the best of intentions, can turn out with very unpleasant consequences to those trying to be helpful.
    actually not true in canada where he lives in ontario canada you can leave the house at 16 and no one can bring you back it is totally legal.

I am the oldest 16 now 17 when this would take place. my boyfriend is 8 days younger then me.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    And how old are you?
    16 and my boyfriend is 8 days younger then me. at the time this would take place we would both be 17

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If mom chooses to let her child shack up with her boyfriend, dad certainly can use that as an argument for a change of custody.
    T.T "shack up" seems a bit of an inappropriate phrase in this convo and I am merely trying to save him from those awful things biology states are his parents. hell I would have him move in with my aunt or even his neighbor if it meant he was safe V.V I just cant see him being tormented like this

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    And is actually fairly decent ammo for Dad to use against Mom.
    I aware its decent that's why I'm trying to make it extremely difficult and expensive for him to get us.

Please explain how he's going to be living here in the US legally.

I'll wait.

Do not microwave grapes

Let me make sure I understand this...

Your parents are willing to harbor an international runaway.

Really?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

To be fair he can legally leave home at 16 in Ontario.

However...living in the US legally? THAT is an entirely different matter

Do not microwave grapes

actually not true in canada where he lives in ontario canada you can leave the house at 16 and no one can bring you back it is totally legal.
    Canadian law is not US law.

Your boyfriend would need to obtain permission FROM THE US to immigrate here. He can't just waltz over the border and chirp "I'm moving in with my girlfriend!"

My husband had to get a passport just to run in next month's Detroit marathon - he'll be in Canada for a whole 30 minutes, but they won't let him back into the US without it. If a natural born citizen has to jump through hoops to come home after visiting the Frozen Bits for a half an hour, what do you think is going to happen for a citizen of the Frozen Bits trying to immigrate?

Start reading, kid. Then get to wrapping your head around the fact that your boyfriend is not coming to live with you. He will be denied admission.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links