Default Statute of Limitations on Child Sex Crimes in Ohio

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Ohio
    When I was about 5 or 6 years old I was molested and would like to know if I can still press charges on the person who molested me. I am 25 years old now and live in a small community and have to see this person because of there ties to other members of my family. I have my own child now and I don't want the molester to be able to show up wherever without warning. At the very least I would like to have a no contact order. Also this man lives across the street from an elementary school.What can I do almost 20 years later?

Default Re: Staute of Limitations on Child Sex Crimes in Ohio

As is indicated in ORC 2901.13, depending upon the facts of the offense there may be a 20 year statute of limitations. We don't know what evidence is available, so we cannot tell you how the police or prosecutor will respond to a report of the offense.

Without proof it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to successfully convict your alleged molester.

Is there proof?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

There was a witness who was there when it happened but I don't think they will tell the truth because the molester is there father. This person also molested my sister and I don't know how I can prove it. She told when she was little and nobody believed her.

What would be considered proof? How can you prove something like this 20 years later. Even back then the only proof is me telling what he did to me.

WHO did she tell. It makes a VAST difference. And, how old was she when she told?

How can you prove something like this 20 years later.
    It's near impossible, which is why so few cases are actually pursued. Most of those involve either evidence garnered from the suspect, like photos or videos found in their possession, or in the form of flat out confessions (for example, a letter written by the perp to the victim "apologizing" for the criminal acts). Beyond those possibilities, it really becomes a case where the victim will say it happened, the suspect will say it didn't, and the prosecution has no case to bring because the state has the burden of proof.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

She was about 4 and she told our grandmother and his wife our aunt. I didn't know until last night but there are two other people in our family that he did similar things to. They were teenagers when it happened and he was at least nine years older than the oldest one.

1. Sponsored Links