Default Speeding While Passing in Los Angeles County

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA

Hello all,

I was given a ticket for speeding while passing a furniture truck on a residential street; lines were dashed and no oncoming cars or pedestrians were present (I checked this before passing the truck). Officer told me I was going 37mph (speed limit is 25). I hadn't thought I was speeding (I was looking at the road, not my speedometer). I told the officer this, apologized, and agreed I should drive slower.

My question is, if I were to go to court and explain the circumstances, is there any chance they might reduce the charge/ticket fine? Or is my only hope that the officer does not show up? I gather from what I've read online that speeding is never allowed, passing or not.. but this seems to me to be a very unreasonable ticket. I can not go to traffic school since I've done that within the last 18 months....

Thank you for your time -
    TA

Default Re: Speeding While Passing in Los Angeles County

Quote Quoting cajal1212
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA

Hello all,

I was given a ticket for speeding while passing a furniture truck on a residential street; lines were dashed and no oncoming cars or pedestrians were present (I checked this before passing the truck). Officer told me I was going 37mph (speed limit is 25). I hadn't thought I was speeding (I was looking at the road, not my speedometer). I told the officer this, apologized, and agreed I should drive slower.

My question is, if I were to go to court and explain the circumstances, is there any chance they might reduce the charge/ticket fine? Or is my only hope that the officer does not show up? I gather from what I've read online that speeding is never allowed, passing or not.. but this seems to me to be a very unreasonable ticket. I can not go to traffic school since I've done that within the last 18 months....

Thank you for your time -
    TA
    Which part do you think makes it a very unreasonable ticket? the part that you passed a truck or the part that you were 12mph in excess of the posted limit?

Either way, you can appear in court for your arraignment to see if the judge would be willing to reduce the fine.

Thank you very much for your reply... was wondering:

1) How much is the fine? I never received a 'courtesy notice' and can't find any clear answer on the web..

2) I've never gone to court before.. if I were to request a reduction, is there any chance it would actually happen? And do I have to plead 'guilty' when I show up in the court first thing in the morning or is that something you do only when the officer shows up at your trial???

Quote Quoting cajal1212
    View Post
    1) How much is the fine?
    For 12 miles over the limit, you're looking at a fine of approximately $235. That is the lowest fine amount that can be assessed for a speeding violation.

Quote Quoting cajal1212
    View Post
    I never received a 'courtesy notice'
    It takes a minimum of 21 days for the citation to be filed in court, after that, the courtesy notice is issued and mailed to the address on the citation which is typically the address from your driver's license... Assuming that is your current address, it maybe about a month before you receive anything!

Quote Quoting cajal1212
    View Post
    if I were to request a reduction, is there any chance it would actually happen?
    Fine reductions are up to the individual judge... Any indication either way before hand would be a mere guess!

Quote Quoting cajal1212
    View Post
    And do I have to plead 'guilty' when I show up in the court first thing in the morning or is that something you do only when the officer shows up at your trial???
    Your first court appearance is the arraignment, where you will be required to either plead guilty and pay the fine, or plead not guilty, request a trial by declaration or an in court trial and post bail equal to the fine amount (which is refunded to you later if you are found not guilty). the officer will not be present at the arraignment, but is required to appear at a trial.

Good luck!

Quote Quoting cajal1212
    View Post
    if I were to request a reduction, is there any chance it would actually happen?
    The only way to know is to attend an arraignment session or two at the court you're supposed to appear at, and see how things play out for the others.

1. Sponsored Links