Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First time shoplifting with a small amount

I was caught shoplifting in a grocery store yesterday. It was the most stupid thing I've ever done in my entire life. I was so ashamed and will never do it again! The merchandise was less than $2. It was my first time and I have a clean record. I was taken to an office and signed the admission and the transpassing form. Everything I gave was correct. No picture was taken. No police was called on site. I don't remeber the LP said anything about receiving a mail (but is it possible that I was too nervice?) The LP said that I was not arrested, but if I was found do it again or enter any branch of the store again I'll be arrested immediately. I kept saying sorry, although I know it was of no use, I really really feel sorry.

I didn't know such a thing as civil demand until visiting this forum. Will I receive a civil demand?

Will they call the police after I leave or sometime in the future?

The LP said the information enters a company database. Is that automatically link to any FBI/police/public database? Will I have a bad record from now on? Will it appear on the background check in the future?

I have been totally in a panic. I cannot fall asleep at all. I feel so sad and ashamed. Please help me with these questions. Thank you so much in advance.

Default Re: First time shoplifting with a small amount

How long ago did this happen? I think stores have the option of pressing charges and/or just asking for some sort of monetary compensation. Since the cops were not called, I would not worry until you recieve something in the mail stateing that you have a court date. If you are really curious, you could go to your local court house, most of them have computers that you can get on there, to check someones records (like your own). Call the court house and see if they can help you find out if any legal charges were pressed. If they did not ban you from the store, chances are, they are not going to press charges, but I could be wrong, so check with the court house.

Thank you for the reply, Turbowray. It happened yesterday. I returned the merchandise in the office, and the LP didn't ask me to pay for it. I was banned from entering the store for a year. When do the mail come usually? I'll be out for two weeks in several days. Will that be a problem?

Quote Quoting neverdoitagain
    Thank you for the reply, Turbowray. It happened yesterday. I returned the merchandise in the office, and the LP didn't ask me to pay for it. I was banned from entering the store for a year. When do the mail come usually? I'll be out for two weeks in several days. Will that be a problem?
    Did you give them your address? If they did not even ask for this, you may not have anything to worry about. It takes a while for the letter to come. When I was younger, I stole some twinkies from the store, I could not come in the store for a year also, but no criminal charges were filed. Someone I know shoplifted when she was 16, and the parents had to pay a fine, and she couldn't go in the store for a year either, but they did file criminal charges,so this could go either way. I would contact the courthouse before you dissapear for a couple of weeks to see if criminal charges were pressed. If they did not, then you have a certain amount of time to pay for the fines assesed by the store.

They did asked for my mailing address. and my name, ssn, age and phone #.

If they didn't call the police, you'll never have a court date. If they ask you for money (and I'll bet they won't)....I'd pay it and feel lucky.

Thank you, chuckycheese.

Another question, will those records in their database be the bad record for me in the future?

For example, if I have to answer "have you been convicted of, or are you currently charged with, on trial for, or party to a crime or offence, or subject of any criminal proceedings in any country?", should I say Yes or No?

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthre...424#post839424

standard shoplifting answer

Be prepared for your shoplifting conviction to hinder your job opportunities for the rest of your life.

There are thousands of questions similar to yours on this forum.

Stand by; others may have advice also.

But...if you do not have a conviction, you can ignore this.

This seniorjudge guy seems more odd all the time.

Under the circumstances, you should never consider admitting that you were "charged, convicted or on trial" for anything pertaining to this incident...after all, you'd be telling the truth.

I think if you try to put this behind you and don't break the law, you'll be just fine and, other than learning a good lesson, none of this will ever affect your life in any way. Good luck!

Thank you, chuckycheese! Anyway, I have learned a lot from this lesson. I promise I'll never ever do that again. Nothing worth these shame, tension and panic.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast