Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Is a Bathroom Stall an Allowable Place for Mothers to Pump Breast Milk

Was there some where private that you could pump that wasn't communal that wouldn't inconvenience the company? Do the restrooms have stalls? If so, what's the problem with using the stall?
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Default Re: Voluntarily Having to Quit After Baby

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    If so, what's the problem with using the stall?
    Really? With you being a female you still ask that? I'm male and still find that disgusting. Would you take your lunch into a stall and eat there? I'm simply amazed at your response CC. This doesn't sound like you.

as well, an employer is legally mandated to provide a space other than a bathroom stall for the purpose.

(Cal. Lab. Code §1030, 1031)
    Every employer, including the state and any political
    subdivision, shall provide a reasonable amount of break time
    to accommodate an employee desiring to express breast milk
    for the employee's infant child. The break time shall, if
    possible, run concurrently with any break time already
    provided to the employee. Break time for an employee that
    does not run concurrently with the rest time authorized for
    the employee by the applicable wage order of the Industrial
    Welfare Commission shall be unpaid. The employer shall
    make reasonable efforts to provide the employee with the use
    of a room or other location, other than a toilet stall, in close
    proximity to the employee's work area, for the employee to
    express milk in private. The room or location may include
    the place where the employee normally works if it otherwise
    meets the requirements of this section.

She's pumping milk, not performing surgery or unpacking her lunch. You're putting breast pump to boob. All you need is a spot where your tatas aren't exposed to the world. So yes, as a woman, I'd go into the bathroom and do what I had to do, put the bottle in my purse and put it in the freezer until I came home.Women don't run into private to attach their babies to their breast, but you need some super secretive space to pump milk.

Of course, I had my child prior to all these new fandangled, make everyone feel good laws. Miraculously, the child still ate, I survived and my boob didn't fall off from pumping in the bathroom at work.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

A toilet is used for a specific purpose so there is, whether you want to accept it or not, fecal matter spread about the stall. The simple act of flushing a toilet, unless there is a closed lid, will cause a spray or splash of water, and whatever contaminants are in the water, to be emitted from the toilet and that will settle about the area. That means there is a good probability of fecal matter being on the walls of the stall. So, unless one can avoid touching anything within the area, it is likely to be spread to your hand and then, to whatever you touch with your hand. I don't know about you but I would prefer to not include such matter in my child's milk.

Personally, I'm less concerned about a private space than I am a clean space. I wouldn't care if a woman chose to pump while setting next to me but I would think that cleanliness would be of great importance to all involved.

jk, really, I think you're a little ott on this one.

Millions of women pump in the bathroom stall. Many will take anti-bacterial towelettes and wipe down surfaces.

It really isn't a big deal.

(But further, even in a different enclosed setting - there was an old computer room set aside where I used to work - there are going to be contaminated surfaces. Seriously)
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    jk, really, I think you're a little ott on this one.

Millions of women pump in the bathroom stall. Many will take anti-bacterial towelettes and wipe down surfaces.

It really isn't a big deal.

(But further, even in a different enclosed setting - there was an old computer room set aside where I used to work - there are going to be contaminated surfaces. Seriously)
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1839

unless one is wiping down any surface they touch, they are still likely being exposed to fecal matter.

and unless somebody is pooping in the computer room and throwing it around, due to the low humidity and lack of standing water, there is going to be very little active bacterial contamination. The only contamination would result from a person touching items but since everything is dry , the bacteria would not survive for long.

regardless of how clean it might be in the stall, the state law requires that some area other than a stall be designated for the use of breast pumping or breast feeding.

Employers cannot designate a toilet stall as a location for employees to express breast milk.
    Quote Quoting California Labor Code, Sec. 1031.
    The employer shall make reasonable efforts to provide the employee with the use of a room or other location, other than a toilet stall, in close proximity to the employee's work area, for the employee to express milk in private. The room or location may include the place where the employee normally works if it otherwise meets the requirements of this section.

I never said they HAD to, I said what was the problem with using the stall? Notice the statute says they have to make REASONABLE effords to provide a location other than the stall, which is why I asked if there WAS one.

Mind you... you'll see the answers to this thread differ completely. Those who have the ability to breast feed and those who don't. Those who have breastfed, and those who... haven't.

a lactation room? You're a chicken! ... Al Bundy

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    I never said they HAD to, I said what was the problem with using the stall? Notice the statute says they have to make REASONABLE effords to provide a location other than the stall, which is why I asked if there WAS one.

Mind you... you'll see the answers to this thread differ completely. Those who have the ability to breast feed and those who don't. Those who have breastfed, and those who... haven't.

It is a striking difference!
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast