Default Penalty for Driving with an Expired License

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Georgia
    I was pulled over for speeding recently and the officer said he would only write me a ticket for driving with an expired license (it was expired less than a month) because I had no speeding violations on record and he wanted to help me out. I checked on the fee so I could pay it and the fee was over $700.00! I am due to appear in court in a few days and I have a few questions. Will I go to jail because I cannot afford the fine? Is it possible to get out of the fine if I offer to provide some type of a community service act, and is it possible to get the case thrown out since I got my license renewed?

Default Re: Penalty for Driving with an Expired License

Will I go to jail because I cannot afford the fine?
    eventually, yes but not at the moment.

Is it possible to get out of the fine if I offer to provide some type of a community service act,
    You can ask. Generally, I would not expect to be allowed such an alternate means of paying the fines but given the economy, maybe there are some judges out there that have a heart.

and is it possible to get the case thrown out since I got my license renewed?
    acting after the fact does not alter the original charge. A judge may be more lenient if you do have a valid license when you walk in or more oppressive if you have not obtained a license renewal. I would suggest getting it renewed before going to court. It won't hurt even if it doesn't help.

Thank you for the reply. I have another question, does over $700.00 seem a bit high for a simple expired license. I know that it could be up to a thousand dollars but everything Ive read says the average fine for this offens in Georgia is 100$

Quote Quoting gradstudent78
    View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I have another question, does over $700.00 seem a bit high for a simple expired license. I know that it could be up to a thousand dollars but everything Ive read says the average fine for this offens in Georgia is 100$
    Nope... that is about right... and I live in Georgia.

What people don't understand is that driving without a license carries fines equivalent to the fines levied on DUI.

However, since your license was expired but not suspended or revoked, having a valid license should shake some compassion out of the judge.

You may also be allowed to create a payment plan of the fine.

Go into court like you are going into the most important job interview of your life. Bring with you the ticket, of course, but also a copy of your student transcript that shows you are a poor but honest student.

You probably won't have to show it... but you want it if the judge asks.

Go to court a couple of times before your date... and see if you can watch your judge in action. Judges are people... and all have the things that make them happy and sad. Learn what makes your judge tick.

Then, go to court. Where appropriate business clothing - suit and tie for men, nice business suit for women - do not smoke the day of court or drink within 48 hours of court. Get a haircut.... if a woman, wear understated and appropriate make up.

Treat the court with the respect you wish it to give you. Practice what you want to say in front of a mirror ... and realize you are going to get about 3 minutes to state your case.

Never plead guilty... but, instead, ask the court for leniency.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

1. Sponsored Links