My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia
I was accused of shoplifting at a tj maxx store. A representative stopped me when I walked out, took me to the back and made me sign a paper notice. It stated that I will receive a mail explaining amount of civil damages I will have to pay and that my information may be given to a retail theft database. There was no police, and she didn't take any picture. She just looked at my license and wrote my info down.
I had a few questions regarding consequences.
1. Is it possible that my school might hear about this incident? I am going off to college this month and I'm terrified that this might cause a problem.
2. I just became a green card holder. Is there ANY possibility that I might be kicked out, or not be granted a reentry after I visit another country or something because of this?
3. It's my first time, I'm over 18 and the item involved was worth $9.99. Considering this, approximately how much will I be expected to pay? I live in northern VA.
4. Probably a dumb question, but is there any way to decrease the amount of fine or not pay at all?
5. No matter what the circumstances, it's better to just pay and be done with it rather than make it even bigger, right?
Please help me. I am terrified and don't know what to think or do. I'm so scared that this will ruin my life and I'm too ashamed to tell and consult with anyone. Please, any comment will be appreciated.