Unhappy Driving with Only a Learners Permit, Without a Licensed Driver

so im 19 in ca and i recently got pulled over, the reason igot pulled over was for the noise of the muffler. there was no adult with me do to the fact that my siblings were at work, and i was on my way to my parents house because my dad suffers from an illness and is better for someone to be with him.the law enforcement officer gave me an infraction on a 12500 a due to the fact that i only have my permit. i have court coming up soo i have a couple of questions please help!!
    1. should i get my DL before my court date?

2.whats the worse that could happen in court? could thy suspend my DL if i do get it?

3.do i plead guilty?

Default Re: Driving with Only a Learners Permint and Without a Licensed Driver

Quote Quoting jayR
    View Post
    i was on my way to my parents house because my dad suffers from an illness and is better for someone to be with him.
    Uhhhmm-hummm! And the officer, of course, didn't believe you!

Quote Quoting jayR
    View Post
    1. should i get my DL before my court date?
    If you can get it before the court date, then by all means do so. If you cannot, then you should still appear in court on your scheduled date, and inform the judge that you should be able to obtain a license by such and such a date. More likely than not, you will be offered an extension to do so and return to court with proof of a valid license (even if it is only the temporary (paper) copy).

Quote Quoting jayR
    View Post
    2.whats the worse that could happen in court? could thy suspend my DL if i do get it?
    The worst that can happen and since you were cited as an infraction (as compared to a misdemeanor) is that you will have to pay the full fine amount of $394... As for the license suspension, the judge does have limited discretion to do so, though I highly doubt it will be suspended assuming you can cross your "t's" and dot your "i's" as instructed by the judge!

Quote Quoting jayR
    View Post
    3.do i plead guilty?
    No you don't... Prior to asking you for a plea, you will likely be asked by the judge if you are able to obtain your license by a certain date. If you have obtained it by that date, you answer with a "I already have it, your honor". Otherwise, and since you've indicated a lack of a restriction or prohibition from doing so, you can simply answer with a "yes your honor, I should be able to have it by such and such a date".

Good luck and hope your Dad is feeling better soon!
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

1. Sponsored Links