Hybrid View

Default Financial Responsibility for Prenatal Care

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Ohio

I have a daughter with my previous girlfriend. The baby is now born and we did the DNA test and I'm the father of this kid.

However, she kept me in the dark durign the whole pregnancy with sporadic emails here and there. I kept trying to make the contact but she simply did not answer me or just ignore me. She will answer me whenever she wanted to answer me.

Long story short, she had prenatal care and she used her insurance to cover most of it. Am I responsable to pay some of that cost? What about the delivery bill or any other services that were used during the delivery? My name is not on the birth certificate because she said that without the DNA test, she will not put me there.

I also want to change my daughter's last name to my lastname, but she does not want to. She filed for child support and I'm willing to pay it. However, all the extra expenses during her prenatal care and after the fact might kill my budget completely. I want to know if I'm 100% responsable or would be something like 50/50 in terms of money.

I created a "shared parenting plan" that way I can see my daughter and we have a guideline when it comes to parenting our daughter. I go and see my daughter every weekend since she was born and now she is about 12 weeks old My reason behind the shared parenting plan is that I dont want her to go out and enroll my daughter or get extra expense such as braces that my daughter does not need because at the end of the day, I will have to pay all of that.

I need some advice. Thanks.

Default Re: Financial Responsibility for Prenatal Care

I highly recommend that you not agree to child support without a DNA test. Also, file with the court to have the last name changed to yours or hyphenated (while the child is still young) she will not be able to unilaterally decide that the child not have your last name or that your name is not on the birth certificate if the matter is brought before the court.

You will not likely be obligated to pay for your ex's prenatal costs as those were costs incurred by her, not the child however the delivery costs may be a different story. I've read about some cases where those have been split between both parties. Also, your 'shared parenting plan' that you have created holds no legal value unless signed off on by a judge, not even if you have it notarized. Without a legal documents stating your rights, you basically have no say in your child's health care, education, etc decisions.

There is case law out of Ohio providing that the father can be held responsible (at least partially) for prenatal and birthing costs.

Wrt shared parenting - well, likely one parent is going to be making the final decision about school...and it's generally the primary custodial parent. In other words, in this case? Mom.

And as far as braces go - when/if the time comes, Mom will likely be able to find at least one orthodontist who will testify that braces are necessary versus aesthetic. So you'll be contributing anyway.

Other than that? Yes, everything Neal said!
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I put my daughter with my insurance and see if that will make the cost of the delivery cost and all the extra hospital services cheaper since it has to go through two insurance companies instead of just hers. Not sure if this will make a difference or not.

Regarding prenatal care, can I just deny to pay that since I'll be doing child support?

I have another question, the DNA test showed that I'm the father but in the results it said that she didnt want to change the name of the baby. I wanted to change the name, but the paper said " do not change the name" ... Did I miss a step somewhere? Can I still do it through court? Not sure why the paper said do not change the name since I want her to give her my last name and she knows that ....

No, if you're ordered to pay prenatal care you're going to have to pay regardless of whether you're paying child support.

Was this a court ordered DNA test?

What exactly was the petition dealing with? (The two issues aren't usually heard together)
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I havent been ordered to pay any prenatal care ... yet. But I'm concerned that I'll be paying that as well as the delivery cost ...

I wanted to do the DNA test because I had my doubts and we went through the child support agency which provides the DNA test from free and thats what I did. However, when I was reading the results I noticed the " do not change the child's surname to the alleged father" ... not sure if they tricked to NOT change the lastname of my daughter. And if they did, can I still bring this to court?

1. Sponsored Links