Default Collection Agency Refuses Money Orders

I owe $2,160 on an old credit card and a collection agency is hounding me with multiple daily phone calls. I offered to mail a money order, but they will only accept an electronic transfer from my checking account. I don't want to give those scumbags my personal banking information, but I don't want this debt looming over my head. What can I do?

Default Re: Collection Agency Refuses Money Orders

Perhaps they will accept a wire transfer from your bank (if possible) or from a company such as Western Union which does not actually identify your bank account.

Quote Quoting donny23
    I owe $2,160 on an old credit card and a collection agency is hounding me with multiple daily phone calls. I offered to mail a money order, but they will only accept an electronic transfer from my checking account. I don't want to give those scumbags my personal banking information, but I don't want this debt looming over my head. What can I do?
    Money orders are often fraudulent; that's why they want the electronic transfer.

By the way, why are they scumbags? Just wondering....

Gentlemen:

The writer isn't telling us the whole story, and the whole amount. He won't give them the bank account because this debt is old, and the writer owes far more than he's saying, because he doesn't want to pay the late fees and interest. He probably owes more than $4,000.00.

That's possible, of course, but doesn't make any difference to the suggestions offered.

Quote Quoting aaron
    That's possible, of course, but doesn't make any difference to the suggestions offered.

Sure it does, Aaron. He said he owes XX. My theory is that he owes YY. So, as the theory goes, they want not only what he's willing to electronically send from his account, but they also want access to the account so that they can get the rest of their money. Or, they want judgment information when they sue him, and the bank account information is perfect information at time of judgment. Why else would they want payment this way? If they were actually, and only, owed XX, then it wouldn't matter to them.

the OC &/or CA has a duty to mitigate their losses. if he sends money orders and they refuse to cash them, it's their own fault. keep records! if it's not in writing, it didn't happen!

Quote Quoting Clair Bonner
    Gentlemen:

The writer isn't telling us the whole story, and the whole amount. He won't give them the bank account because this debt is old, and the writer owes far more than he's saying, because he doesn't want to pay the late fees and interest. He probably owes more than $4,000.00.
    Actually, the entire amount I owe is $2,160 and the debt is 5 years old. The collection agency offered to settle for $1,512, but they insist upon the electronic transfer. I fear if I authorize a transfer of $1,512 to the collection agency, then they'll withdraw even more. I offered a money order and a certified check, but they refuse to accept either. They won't send the settlement agreement to me in writing, either.

I am eager to resolve the debt, especially because the collection agency has called other members of my family, they leave 30-minute prerecorded messages on my answering machine, they've threatend to sue me and I get at least 3 calls from them every day. They're called National Action Financial Services and according to the Better Business Bureau and multiple anecdotes I've read, they have a track record of unethical business practices.

What recourse do I have?

1. Sponsored Links