Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Changing my Stepdaughter's last name.

Excuse me but I'm new to this. No he's not on the birth certificate. He's not paying child support. He was supposed but quit his jobs and hasn't been located. I don't believe there was ever a custody order it was a one night thing and he hasn't even wanted to be in her life.

If he was supposed to pay support, then a support order was presumably issued. If that was the case, where was it issued? If you do not know, please find out.

I'll short-cut it.... If there is a prior court with jurisdiction, the name change for the child would occur through that court, or you have to transfer jurisdiction to a court in your state. The father is entitled to notice. If you can't find him you can request the court to order substituted service, and "serve" him by meeting whatever requirements the court orders.

The same is true for step-parent adoption, save for that you should be able to commence step-parent adoption proceedings in your current state. Normally it would be required that you notify the court of any prior family law proceedings, and confirm that there are no proceedings pending in any other state. The father is entitled to notice. If possible, actual notice is best. If possible, his actual consent is best, as otherwise you have to have the court terminate his parental rights. If you can't find him, you can again ask for the court to permit substituted service.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear but my stepdaughter and the father have never shared a last name. She was able to give the child her name when the baby is born so I thought it would be easy to change her name when she changed hers? The State was Texas and it sounds like there was definitely a court order. But she hasn't pursued it, she's 7 now and he was gone before she was 1. Anyway thanks for your help again and I guess we'll precede with how you outlined. GO BLUE!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12