Default Domestic violence reduced to a disorderly conduct charge

I was arrested in 1999 for domestic violence. My spouse and I got into an arguement. I said something in reference of the world ending due to Y2K. She felt threatened and I was arrested. At the time I was working for an armed security firm in which I surrendered my weapon for a period of time. I plead not guily to the charge of domestic violence. My lawyer had the charge reduced to disorderly conduct. In 2000 I applied for employment with the Department of Corrections and was accpeted for employment but, during testing I was denied employment. I asked the reason and the staff told me that I could not be employed due to domestic violence charges. Yet I was not convicted of domestic violence nor did I serve time for domestic violence. I was very angry at this for a while because I went through peace officer school to become employed for a law enforcement job. I even went through anger management counseling just to show that I had no problems with anger or anything of that nature.

My sidearm was later returned after the court trial. Over the years I have went through various background checks and have even aquired many other firearms as I do collect them and other recreational purposes with no problem. I have re-applied for another position in law enforcement for the department of corrections. I am still with the same woman who had me arrested for no reason as well. Its a very long almost 200 mile drive to take the test again. Today I was mailed a corrections officer questionaire. There is a question that states..."HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A MISDEMEANOROR OR ARE YOU CURRENTLY PENDING ANY MISDEMEANOR CHARGES?
    Keep in mind I have served no time at all. The whole case was bullshit in the first place due to a scorned woman. I recently conducted a criminal background check on myself with the police dept. , sheriffs dept. , and the court of appeals in my county and nothing shows up on the background checks.

I REALLY NEED ADVICE ON WHAT I SHOULD DO TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION BECAUSE EMPLOYMENT WITH AN LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IS LIKE SOMETHING I'VE ALWAYS WANTED. PLEASE HELP!

if you plead to disorderly conduct, then yes you were convicted of a misdemeanor. explain the situation as best you can..... BE HONEST. honesty goes a long way. any LE department with which you apply will be able to do a criminal background check. they will already know about the arrest and subsequent conviction. just explain what happened and that it was a long time ago and any other mitigating circumstances.

1. Sponsored Links