Question Car Impound Rules for Colorado

Can a person be arrested & thier car impounded in the state of Colorado for driving avehicle without current registration, license under FRA suspension, and no proof of insurance?
    This person was not even pulled over for any reason...except that the officer wanted to talk to him about a car that had been purchased.

Default Re: Arrested...?

Quote Quoting kamco13
    Can a person be arrested & thier car impounded in the state of Colorado for driving avehicle without current registration, license under FRA suspension, and no proof of insurance?
    This person was not even pulled over for any reason...except that the officer wanted to talk to him about a car that had been purchased.

Go to this link, then click on "FRA suspension".

You will see that it is a criminal matter.

Default Re: Arrested...?

I'm not really sure that this seems to apply... it is a first offense, and his license was suspended due to him being about 4 months behind in his child support payments.

Default Re: Car Impound Rules for Colorado

I don't understand -- was this person pulled over? Or was he just sitting in his car when the officer walked up?

If he was actually pulled over -- without probable cause, meaning that the officer had no reason to suspect a violation of some kind -- just to ask where he had bought the car (or some such question), I don't see how anything that followed, the arrest, the impound, etc. could stand.

Maybe you should explain the circumstances in more detail.

Barry

Default Re: Car Impound Rules for Colorado

We were on our way to a wedding, and I had just gotten back into the car after closing the gate when the officer pulled in front of us, blocking the way, the car was not in gear, but it was running. The officer got out of his car and asked for a drivers license. Before he could even give the license to the officer, the officer stated that 'you don't even have a license, do you... it's been suspended' The only reason the officer came to the house in the first place was because of a complaint made by some man who claimed to have bought one of the cars in our yard, he is the one who brought the officer over.
    Then the officer went to check out the registration on the car we were driving, and found that the month sticker said a different date the the registration paper said...this was an honest mistake, one of the other cars we drive has the correct sticker on it. So that was when the officer arrested him, and claimed that the car was going to be impounded, he refused to let me take it back into the yard, and when we got the car out yesterday, the tow company had to call the officer, saying that there was a 'hold' on it...

We didn't even have any idea the his license was suspended, he had been working with the child support office on getting a reveiw done. We ended up missing the wedding, which he was a best man in. This is extremely frustrating, because I don't see any reason for that officer to have arrested him, let alone pull him over...

1. Sponsored Links