Default Misdemeanor Charges for Possession of MDMA

My question involves criminal records for the state of: California, San Bernardino County

I was recently at a rave and got caught with .5 grams of molly (MDMA). The arresting officer charged me with a misdemeanor of possession (HS 11377 section a). I am 20 years old and I am currently a full time student without a job. I have a clean record and I receive good grades as well. What would be the chances for the judge to drop my case? because my parents cannot find out about what happened. Although, if I do get charged I'm guessing there will be a large fine. I won't be able to pay for the fine, so I would have to go to my parent, but if they find out they'll kick me out and erase me from their lives. What should i do? Would a public defender help my case? and how long does a misdemeanor stay on my record? I am in the process of transferring to a university and I'm afraid this will affect my eligibility to transfer. My situation in my family's life is already messed up as it is. Our house recently got foreclosed, my parents are in debt, my mom's health is not in good condition. Would the judge feel pity for me and dismiss my case? and how should I prepare for my court date?

Thank you for your time!

Default Re: Misdemeanor Charges for Possession of MDMA

No, telling the judge a sob story about how you have a tough life and were merely trying to escape your woes by buying and using illegal drugs is not going to convince him to dismiss your case. That's not even the judge's prerogative.

Consult a local lawyer about getting into a first offender program (assuming you are one) that will potentially allow you to avoid a conviction.

Default Re: Misdemeanor Charges for Possession of MDMA

Would the judge feel pity for me and dismiss my case?
    Not only would he not feel a lick of pity, he'd likely show you the sharp side of his tongue to the point that you'd feel like you were bleeding if you tried that nonsense in court. At 20, you're plenty old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, and plenty old enough to know better than to try to pull the "life is hard" card. Trying that will only end in tears.

In addition to retaining counsel as Mr. K advises, speak to your school's health services department about getting into a substance abuse program. This is something you'll want to nip in the bud NOW.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links