Default Emancipation for FAFSA if Over 18

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Indiana

I am 19 years old and attending college. I also work a seasonal job where I receive salary pay. I pay for college without any help from my parents and live on my own as well. I know people who have been 18+ and gotten emancipated for financial reasons and am wondering how to go about this in order for FAFSA to consider my income rather than my parents.

Default Re: Emancipation for FAFSA if Over 18

You know people over 18 who have been emancipated for the purpose of manipulating the student aid process.... Well then, you had best ask them how it was done, because as far as the courts are concerned when you turned 18 you became a legal adult by virtue of your age.

Indiana's emancipation statute, by its express terms, allows certain children to emancipate through a juvenile court process.

I wouldn't consider it manipulation; when a person is financially independent and have no help from family, FAFSA should be based off of their own income.

Quote Quoting hanwi
    View Post
    I wouldn't consider it manipulation; when a person is financially independent and have no help from family, FAFSA should be based off of their own income.
    You are right but to do anything about it, emancipation is not the path to take. I have to wonder what your friends have been doing but here is the list of what it takes to be considered an independent student:

Being considered an independent student is not merely a matter of being responsible for your own educational expenses. You must meet at least one of the following seven criteria to be declared an independent student for the purposes of the FAFSA:

Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
    Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, or was a ward of the court until the age of 18;
    Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States;
    Be a graduate or professional student;
    Be a married individual;
    Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
    Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

Quote Quoting hanwi
    View Post
    It's "based on", not "based off of". Good gods, what are they teaching you kids in English classes today?

The fact of the matter is that no one is entitled to financial help for college on their terms. The people awarding the assistance get to make the rules, and the rules have already been laid out for you by FAFSA.

The correct way to handle this is to sit down with a rep from your school's financial aid office and ask for help documenting that you are not only 100% financially independent from your parents, but have been so for two years or more.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links