Default Plea Bargaining a Ticket in Washington State

I got a speeding ticket on I-5 by state patrol, and I have to goto the Lynnwood traffic court. I have a good case to defer my ticket, but I have a 630am to 3pm job monday through friday so I cannot make it. Is it possible to make a plea bargain without a lawyer before the court date? My speedometer is off and I want to change this to a non-moving violation. I cannot make the court date that is posted on my letter. Also if I absolutley need an attorney, how much would it cost just to plea bargain the ticket?

Default Re: Plea Bargaining a Ticket in Washington State

You can probably request a deferral by mail or even email (you don't need a "good case", as long as you're eligible for a deferral -- meaning no "deferrals" in the past 7 years and no CDL). Contact the Clerk of the Court and ask.

Otherwise, you must either request a continuance or appear on the date your hearing is scheduled for. Failure to appear will result in 1) a higher fine, 2) a default judgment of "guilty" (which your insurance company will use as a reason to increase your rates), and 3) suspension of your license. Your "job" is NOT an excuse -- believe me on this.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

Why not file discovery and let this site (and all the knowledgeable people) take a whack at helping you get your ticket dismissed, rather than wasting your one deferral for the next 7 years, and paying any money?

Quote Quoting Ticketinwashington
    View Post
    I got a speeding ticket on I-5 by state patrol, and I have to goto the Lynnwood traffic court. I have a good case to defer my ticket, but I have a 630am to 3pm job monday through friday so I cannot make it. Is it possible to make a plea bargain without a lawyer before the court date? My speedometer is off and I want to change this to a non-moving violation. I cannot make the court date that is posted on my letter. Also if I absolutley need an attorney, how much would it cost just to plea bargain the ticket?
    Yes, some Prosecuting Attorney's will 'plea bargin' the moving violation to a non-moving violation. Usually 'intermittent' driving. You would need to contact the PA office and request that. I did so in Des Moines a few years ago and the PA was fine with it...he got to collect a fine and I had a ticket that did not end up on my driving record.

1. Sponsored Links