Default Moving Out, Landlord Refuses to Return Deposit

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: FL

I lived in a room for about a month and a half. Unfortunately, I do not have a written contract, just a verbal agreement. I informed my landlord of my departure on the first week of this month, I am leaving by the end of this month. Given that it is difficult for the landlord to find a tenant, the excuse given was that the landlord assumed i was staying for a year. On our first conversation, I was asked how long I would stay at this location, I answered probably a year. Although, I don't have a contract, I do have an application sent to the landlord with my information (used to check my background). I also have checks with his name, they were used for rent. Is this enough information to establish I lived at such location as a tenant? Should i warrant a refund for my security deposit?

Default Re: Moving Out, Landlord Refuses to Return Deposit

For a month-to-month tenancy in Florida you must give at least fifteen days notice that you're terminating the tenancy. Notices should be in writing.

You have the right to sue your landlord to try to recover your security deposit. Your landlord can countersue claiming that there was an oral agreement that your tenancy would last a year; if everybody agrees to your version of what happened such a claim should not succeed, as saying that you'll "probably" stay for a year is not in fact a commitment to do so.

1. Sponsored Links