Default Does Surviving Parent Automatically Get Sole Custody Against Other Relatives

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: PA
    I have one child. The child has been with me since birth. The father came in and out of my child's life over the past 11yrs. Even though there was a court order saying he could get my child everyother weekend. The child's father commited suicide. I want to know my legal standing as far as .... Do I automatically take over full guardianship of my child? The child's paternal grandparents are in the picture, I want to know my legal standing before an issue arrises. I will allow them to be a part of my child's life, just not everyother weekend as the custody arrangement was worded involving my child's father. I do not feel the paternal grandparents should just be able to pick up the agreement as if it was with them....
    I also have a question as to custody of my child if I should die.... Since I am the only surviving biological parent will my last will and testament be enough to decide where my child goes when/if I should die?

Default Re: Does Surviving Parent Automatically Get Sole Custody Including Other Relatives

You are the child's only legal parent, with sole custody.

However, PA is a grandparent-friendly state (one of the most, actually). If the grandparents have enjoyed an ongoing relationship with your son, they'd have a better-than-decent shot at getting court-ordered visitation if they file. They cannot simply take over Dad's visitation though - that's not transferrable. They'll have to take you to court themselves.

If you were to die, what happens to your son would be somewhat up in the air. Your wishes would likely carry at least some weight in court, but he could also end up in the care of the State, or could end up being the subject of a custody battle.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Does Surviving Parent Automatically Get Sole Custody Including Other Relatives

I was pretty sure as far as custody was concerned that was the answer....
    As far as to my death.... How can I ensure my child will be with who I prefer? Is there a legal way of taking care of this situation before or if it happens?

You can do what's called a "standby guardianship". While it is a legal document, it's not binding in court - you can't decide future custody like that and the court doesn't have to follow your wishes unfortunately. Your son's preference would likely be a factor too (assuming you're not going to leave us in the next few days or so!).

Have a chat with a local attorney - they can give you an idea of how the courts tend to rule in your area. Some are more likely to follow a will/standby preference than others.

Do not microwave grapes

Thanks so much for your answers! Wish there was more I could do! Kind of scary not knowing what could happen. I made an appt. with my attorney!

That's the smart plan

Good luck - let's hope this question never even becomes an issue!

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links