Default First Offender Felony Probation - What Should I Do when It's Over

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

As my title suggests, I am inquiring about what to do when I "get off of probation".

Here are the particulars:

At age 17 I was placed on 5 (five) years Felony Probation under the First Offender Act in Georgia. The charges were felony burglary and misdemeanor obstructing a police officer (ran away but then came back). I was never in any trouble prior to this debacle, so naturally I stayed out of any more trouble. I haven't had so much as a parking ticket. I paid everything I was asked to pay, on time, and in full. I completed my community service well within the time limit and even did a few extra hours.

Now, present day, it's 5 years later and my probation is about to be "up" or "over" or however it is referred to. My question is simple: What do I need to do, if anything, to "complete" my probation?

An attorney told me "absolutely nothing" but I'd feel more comfortable getting a few second and third opinions. I don't want to be out of state next month visiting my family (after my probation is over), and get stopped and then BAM! I'm arrested or anything like that.

I'm aware of the necessity of an attorney to get my record expunged/sealed, hence why I called the man that told me the aforementioned.

Thanks for the information.

Addendum-

I forgot to ask: Is it safe to leave the state the same day my probation is "over" or should I wait until the following day?

Thanks again!

Second Addendum-

Maybe I posted this in the wrong area? I didn't see the probation area. If a moderator deems it necessary, please move it to the proper area. Thanks!

Default Re: First Offender Felony Probation - What Should I Do when It's Over

You don't have to do anything extra. Take a look at your court order. Make sure all you conditions are met. All fines and fees are paid up. Any treatment that you had to do should be complete. I tell people to have all the conditions met (30) days in advance. That way, you give the officer enough time to submit your courtwork stating all conditions have been met.

Once the judge terminates the case, it's over.

Quote Quoting viol8te
    View Post
    You don't have to do anything extra. Take a look at your court order. Make sure all you conditions are met. All fines and fees are paid up. Any treatment that you had to do should be complete. I tell people to have all the conditions met (30) days in advance. That way, you give the officer enough time to submit your courtwork stating all conditions have been met.

Once the judge terminates the case, it's over.
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm a bit confused, however...did you mean that I have to wait for an officer to submit something before I'm off probation or before it can be expunged?

What I am most concerned about is being able to freely leave the state. I've got a vacation coming up and I don't want to miss the opportunity. Essentially what I'm asking is...my probation is automatically "over", correct? On the date that was set, 5 years ago, as long as I've done nothing wrong, it's just over and done with correct? I'm aware of the record issue but that shouldn't hinder my freedom other than things like getting a different job, voting, firearms, etc., right?

I advise my guys to attend the final hearing date. You nver know, you may have presumed that everything was complete, only to find out there was an incomplete mandate at the final hearing. Plus, you get to hear the judge say your case is terminated yourself. Kind of your personal confirmation that your done.

Expungments differ from state to state. But your probation is over when the judge rules on it on the termination date.

I don't know if it works that way here. I have not heard anything about a hearing date or anything of the sort. I did ask a P.O. about getting my record expunged and he told me that I would have to call the person that handled (superior P.O. or however it's called) my case and yadda yadda have them send in some kind of letter. I don't know that that pertains to getting off probation though.

I should clarify what the attorney told me: He told me "Your case expires and you're a free man". How does that sound to you? I mean, I hadn't paid anything yet, it was just a consultation so I suppose he could've just fed me a line.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult.

Thanks!

Every office can be a bit different. I submit a termination memo to the court in order to supply the court with all of the information that pertains to the completion of your case. As the officer in charge of monitoring your case, it is my responsibility to supply the court with the dates of completion and so on. Not sure if your PO has to do the same thing. That is something that he would not be upset at you for asking.

1. Sponsored Links