Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caught Stealing at Walmart, Given a Warning

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Nevada

I'm at Walmart at like 330AM drunk and I get a coke and I go to pay for it. No one is around, I'm like this sucks so I put it in a bag and walkout. Guy stops me, gets my info, basically tells me since its 1st time nothing will happen and just hands me some notice about their lawyers because he has to. He said nothing will happen since it was a $1.48 soda and 1st time but I just wanna make sure. Is there anyway I can findout or anyone can tell me? I asked him if I should call the lawfirm and he's like I wouldn't even bother but then said I'll just be in the system now and to never do it again or trepassing charges will be filed or whatever...

Default Re: Caught Stealing at Walmart, Given a Warning

I'd like to add the guy was pretty friendly, he said I cooperated. It was 330AM and he knew I kinda just made a brainfart. He said he has no control over what legal does but he doesn't think they will do anything for $1.50 soda and 1st time offender but who knows.

Biggest mistake of my life, I'll commit white collar crime stealing millions from pension funds or something before I steal from a retail corporation again!

We have no reason to doubt what you were told. If you want to know if it's theoretically possible for yo to face more serious consequences, then yes, it is.

Yeah theoretically they could hit me with the $500 fee right? I'm 27 with a college degree and no criminal record, pretty funny this happened to me (not right now it isn't but I'd imagine I'll laugh about it someday)

Think I should believe what the LP said? I really have no clue.

I had no reason to doubt what you were told the last time I answered your question.

Nothing has changed since then.

Sounds good. Last question though, how long does it usually take for them to send the civil bill to you if they are gonna send it? My mother lives downstairs from me and I want to make sure I get it and not her. I don't think she would be mad but its just so humiliating. I'm guessing within 45 days?

This also just occured to me but I'm guessing I will never be able to work at walmart now and if they share their list with other retailers then the other retail stores as well? Its not exactly my dream to work in the retail industry and I don't ever plan on it. However, if I just lost the ability to work for like 10 of the biggest companies in the world in any capacity whatsoever, that definitely has me worried. You never know when your gonna need a job in life and to think for a $1.48 20oz coke I just Xd my name off all those lists is pretty bad. Anyone have any insight into this?

You may receive a Civil Demand in the mail for $50+ dollars. And even though the LP says they won't file charges (and WalMart is lenient to a point) they do have 1-2 years to file charges.

Seriously, if there is no clerk in sight, you just put the item down and walkout and find a different store to buy it at.....

Quote Quoting PandorasBox
    View Post
    You may receive a Civil Demand in the mail for $50+ dollars. And even though the LP says they won't file charges (and WalMart is lenient to a point) they do have 1-2 years to file charges.

Seriously, if there is no clerk in sight, you just put the item down and walkout and find a different store to buy it at.....
    Yeah he didn't sound like charges were a possibility. I'd imagine they wouldn't file over a soda, no cops were called or anything

It was the dumbest, stupidest, most petty thing I've ever done and I feel terrible for it. I just hope it goes away....

Not like this matters but I was really under the weather and on medication so I just wanted to get the hell out of there. If anyone ever asks me about it I know thats what I'll have to say. I don't ever plan on working for Walmart but who knows in 30 years I might be old and broke and need that greeter job.

Pandoras or anyone else, any estimate as to when the civil demand would come? I'd guess pretty quickly if it did indeed come, inside of 45 days or something?

Most companies have a minimum threshold before initiating civil demand. It is usually around $5. The expense vs the payback is too low.

Stop stealing. It is apparent that stealing is in your blood and if you will steal something small, you probably have stolen something big.

A coke? Seriously?
    Not worth my time...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast