Default Offered to Be Snitch to Get Charges Dropped. Am I Being Lied to by Detectives

My question involves criminal law for the state of:
    Last week I was searched during a traffic stop. They found a used syringe in my purse. They arrested me and charged me with a paraphernalia charge. While at the station two Detectives told me that if I do what they call "a drop" for them (buying heroin from my dealer and then giving it to them along with names and numbers.) then they can get my charges dropped. I consulted a lawyer, he said with such a simple charge I shouldnn't have to do this at all, and I should go threw him. Also he told me the detectives can lie to me and call me over and over again trying to get me to do more things.

Heres the deal, I'm leaving the state in 15 days to get sober in another program. I want this over and done with. It is also vital that my family does not find out I got arrested. The advantages of doing the drop are- No legal or court fines and fees. I don't have to come back here in three months for a court date, and my family never knows and this all goes away! and please save your comments about how snitchin is wrong because all the dealers have no loyalties to me and would do it to me in a second if the tables were turned. They don't give a **** about me. Its all in the game.

I talked to the detective today. I know that Its not him who decides if my charges are dropped its the states attorney who decides. He says he e-mailed him (the states attorney) yesterday asking him if I can do this. Today we are supposed to meet up and I'm supposed to "sign" paperwork signing me up for this...but when I asked if he heard from the states attorney he texted me this "Not yet. It won't be a problem though. You don't have a criminal history. Were not going to do anything today except sign you up and I want to show you a couple pictures." Should I sign anything without him having heard from the states attorney yet? Can he be lying to me about even contacting the states attorney??? Is this detective trying to screw me?

Default Re: Offered to Be Snitch to Get Charges Dropped. Am I Being Lied to by Detectives

Quote Quoting weasel5459
    View Post
    I consulted a lawyer, he said with such a simple charge I shouldnn't have to do this at all, and I should go threw him.
    That may depend on local court procedures and how flexible the D.A. usually is with cases such as yours. I can only assume that a local lawyer (if this guy is local) would know more than we do! But, he's also trying to get you to go through him, so it kind of works both ways...

Quote Quoting weasel5459
    View Post
    Also he told me the detectives can lie to me and call me over and over again trying to get me to do more things.
    It is possible...

Quote Quoting weasel5459
    View Post
    The advantages of doing the drop are- No legal or court fines and fees.
    Assuming the D.A. OKs the "deal"...

Quote Quoting weasel5459
    View Post
    I don't have to come back here in three months for a court date, and my family never knows and this all goes away!
    Ideally...

Quote Quoting weasel5459
    View Post
    ... and please save your comments about how snitchin is wrong because all the dealers have no loyalties to me and would do it to me in a second if the tables were turned. They don't give a **** about me. Its all in the game.
    But... but... but, I wasn't going to say anything about snitching!!!

Quote Quoting weasel5459
    View Post
    Should I sign anything without him having heard from the states attorney yet?
    I wouldn't sign anything without my attorney sitting by my side! But that's just me...

Quote Quoting weasel5459
    View Post
    Can he be lying to me about even contacting the states attorney??? Is this detective trying to screw me?
    Both are possibilities!

Good luck with your sobriety.

Default Re: Offered to Be Snitch to Get Charges Dropped. Am I Being Lied to by Detectives

Wouldnt Do It - It haunts you more - once a snitch always a snitch. If you want out you will still do the time for the crime. They are all full of Sh** and they dont care about you anymore than your dealer.

Rather be a criminal in jail ....than a snitch in jail....

The Law Office of Garry L. Potts 13575 58th Street North, Suite 126, Clearwater, Florida 33760 Telep

I agree that you need to have an attorney on this. You need to get an experienced criminal defense attorney whom you trust in, because you really need to follow advice. You are leading yourself down an unnecessary primrose path, thinking that your charge will magically disappear and you haven't even gotten direct confirmation from the State's Attorney yet that they would even consider dismissing your case. The police believe that they are doing good by stopping drug dealers and making druggies like you work off their debt. They will tell you that they have no final authority, but that they will speak on your behalf to the State and the judge (they did say that, right?). Later, after you go through the dangers associated with working as a confidential informant, you may find that all the State Attorney is willing to do is probation with a withholding of adjudication. You would still have to pay court costs. And your attorney could probably get you the same deal without you taking the risk of working as a C.I. And the case would be over sooner. Get an attorney you trust and listen to them and let them deal with the State and the detectives and then you will know what is really going on and what your circumstances really call for in your case.

1. Sponsored Links