Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Father Agreed to Sign Over Parental Rights

    My question involves paternity law for the State of: Alabama.

    I'm a mother of a 5 month old daughter. Her father and I are splitting up, he has agreed to give up his parental rights. I don't want child support from him, I don't want anything to do with him, and we both decided it would be easier on us and better for our daughter for him to be out of the picture, since he is moving to Florida.
    How would he go about giving up his rights? Paternity has been established. His name is on her birth certificate. We aren't married and never were.

    Does there have to be a step-dad involved? Someone else willing to take up the fathers side of support? Or can I just be the sole guardian of her?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Somewhere near Canada

    Default Re: Father Agreed to Sign Over Parental Rights

    He can't.

    In both AL and FL, an established parent can only voluntarily terminate their parental rights as part of a stepparent adoption.

    The State wants two parents to be responsible for a child.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

    Do not microwave grapes

  3. #3

    Default Re: Father Agreed to Sign Over Parental Rights

    Doggie is right. If Dad doesn't want to exercise any parental rights, like visitation, he doesn't have to. If you choose not to pursue him for child support, he won't have to pay any. But if he's on her birth certificate, that's where he's staying, unless either someone else's DNA establishes them as the father, or unless you marry and your new hubby wants to adopt. If dad is willing to allow you to function as the sole guardian, then it's all good....but if you get hit by a bus, or if you apply for government aid, the state wants there to be a second parent to be responsible for the child.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director, Inc.

    Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Establishing an Order: Father Parental Rights Question and if Its Possible
    By c_chaos_1313 in forum Child Custody and Visitation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 12:53 PM
  2. How Can I Take Away Father's Parental Rights
    By Mhill8 in forum Child Custody and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM
  3. Grandparents and Third Parties: Biological Father Giving Up Parental Rights and Step Father Adopting My Daughter
    By kuziifish in forum Child Custody and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM
  4. Can He Sign Parental Rights Away?
    By levis in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 03:02 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Forum Sponsor
Paternity Forms
Forms and documents to establish paternity in all 50 states.

Untitled Document