Question Eviction Without a Lease

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Kentucky

My husband and I live in a house his mother owns. She allowed us to live here rent free as long as we paid all of our own bills and promised to maintain the property and do repairs as needed. We never signed a lease (mistake #1).

We've lived here almost three years. We've cleaned out two houses on the property after severe hoarders had moved out. We reclaimed the yard from years worth of weeds, hauled away trash, and did minor landscaping work. In both houses, we've replaced all the plumbing, and in one house we completely cosmetically remodeled from top to bottom, completely out of pocket and with my mother-in-law's approval.

A year ago, she decided she wanted us to buy the house, but it is not FHA approved, which is the loan we're already pre-approved for. She expects us to pay for all of the repairs to make the place acceptable (new foundation, new windows, new sewage, etc.), costs we simply can't afford all at once or as quickly as she would like. She refuses to accept rent, as it would disrupt her government assistance, but harasses us multiple times a day about buying the house.

Today, she has decided if we don't buy the house within a week, she's going to evict us. My husband is afraid she'll make us homeless, as there are few places to rent locally. Even if we bought a different house today (one that is FHA approved), it would be 6 weeks before we could move in.

Question: Can my mother-in-law evict us without the traditional 30 day notice since we've never paid rent?

Question: Does an eviction notice have to be in writing?

Default Re: Eviction Without a Lease

Question: Can my mother-in-law evict us without the traditional 30 day notice since we've never paid rent?
    no. She needs to terminate your tenancy with proper notice. If you do not leave after that time, then she can begin eviction proceedings.

Question: Does an eviction notice have to be in writing?
    Yes but what you are actually concerned with, right now, it a termination of tenancy. That requires a 30 day notice from what I can find.

Default Re: Eviction Without a Lease

Thank you for your help. I didn't realize the two terms (eviction and termination of tenancy) were two entirely different things.

1. Sponsored Links