Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up What Weapons Can a Felon Legally Carry in Michigan

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

Hello, Having read another post prior to joining, it is my understanding that under no circumstances can someone have their firearm rights resorted in Michigan if they have been convicted of a felony that cannot be set aside or expunged because of other related misdemeanor charges. With this being the case, I would like to know what weapons someone can carry both for hunting and more importantly self defense.

The conviction was a property damage case over 20 years ago. I am employed by a business and work in a city that was rated recently as one of the most violent cities in the US by population, Flint MI, and am unavoidably required to deliver to neighborhoods that are the highest rated for crime. I’ve had, on more than one occasion, a knucklehead attempt to rob me and am looking at my legal options for protection. I thank you in advance for taking to time to read my post and for your informed replies.

Default Re: What Weapons Can a Felon Legally Carry in Michigan

How does your employer feel about armed employees?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Employers profit more from deliveries made than those not. In Michigan - even those that deliver pizza are robbed regularly and the products i carry are much more valuable. There is a case pending now for a guy shooting someone that caved part of his head in with a wrech while robbing him for some chump change. Crackheads and Thugs don't care about abiding the laws - I do - which is why I'm asking what weapons can be carried legally for defense.

That depends upon state law which you can easily research. I don't really care to waste my time on Michigan law. However, the obvious one in all states is pepper spray. You'd have to be carrying it ready to spray when you exit your vehicle and it would be risky if a robber has a gun or other weapon. You might not even remember to use it or might pick a bad time. Risky all around but better than nothing perhaps with all the crackheads and crazies out there. The best suggestion is a different job or in a different area. Stun guns are generally illegal for felons. Other things like pellet guns or a crossbow are not very practical. A bullet proof vest might be your best investment.

The only thing I would carry if I were you would be a cell phone. You can call the police with it and hope that they come fast for your sake.

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    The only thing I would carry if I were you would be a cell phone. You can call the police with it and hope that they come fast for your sake.
    The county can’t afford police – they were one of the first budget cuts. I’m sure that a cell phone may work where you are – “hold on thugs while I call for help” but not here. I carry what I feel necessary; - better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 they say, but would prefer it be legal. I guess my question was too complicated for some – or offered too much information – in that case – I’ll simply ask “What weapons can someone convicted of a felony carry to hunt in Michigan?” (venison or crackheads) . I had hope that with the domain entitled “expert law’ someone would have an informed answer – but still waiting.

And you think being rude will help?

The laws that prohibit you, as a convicted felon, from carrying firearms? MCL 750.224f? They prohibit you from carrying firearms.

The laws that restrict what any person can carry as a concealed weapon without a permit, or can carry in a vehicle? e.g., MCL 750.227, MCL 750.227c? They apply to everybody, including you.

The laws that forbid the possession of certain weapons, period? e.g., MCL 750.224, 750.224a, 750.224b, 750.224d? They also apply to you.

If you're on probation or parole, the terms of your probation and parole may restrict you above and beyond the various statutory restrictions.

And with Michigan having a constructive law makes you in possession of a firearm if your with a few friends that are allowed to own a firearm and they have a firearm nearby. Not only that, say you go over a relative house and they have a firearm (yup, you guessed it!) your in possession.

[QUOTE=Mr. Knowitall;542203]And you think being rude will help?
    QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply and links - I wasn't trying to be rude - just thought replies like "carry a phone" aren't helpful. Links were helpful though and didn't realise that michigan law limits the ammount of capsin in a spray for self defense - don't want to cause too much harm to those robing you

@who'sthatguy - thanks for the tip - also didn't realize that i was considered in possession for visiting others with firearms. Few of my relatives don't have firearms as many hunt regularly - so i guess i'll have to take my chances with that rediculous law untill modified to show intent of using them.

Although maybe not that practical for self defense - anyone know what the law is reguarding carrying a crossbow for hunting?

Why would a law that keeps guns out of the hands of convicted felons be "rediculous"?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast