Default Grandmother Took Custody of Daughter - How Do I Regain Custody

My question involves a child custody case from the State of:Broward County, Florida

I went to jail while pregnant and the fathers mother took temporary custody of my daughter. I am now out and working living a productive life. I want to have my daughter with me as sole provider for her. How can i go about obtaining this custody without a lawyer present. I have done alot of research however i am looking to the legal community for some good advice. can anyone please help me??? thank you

Default Re: Grandmother Took Custody of Daughter How Do I Revoke Chain of Custody Back

How long has Grandma had custody?

How long have you been out?

Why didn't Dad have custody?

Where IS Dad?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Grandmother Took Custody of Daughter How Do I Revoke Chain of Custody Back

And just to clarify...was this a temporary guardianship assigned by a COURT....or did grandma just "take in" the child?
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Thank you for your responses. When i was in jail the courts had a phone session father gave his permission but i didnt however seeing that i really had no control being incarcerated they awarded the temp custody to his mother. I was in jail 2 1/2 years for fraud and perjury. I have been out since Feb 2011, i have never neglected my child or put her in harm. i feel that i am now capable of taking care of my child and want to be a good role model for my daughter. the father was quick to let his mother take care of her which she has done and i appriecate that but i want the responsiblility of my child. i have been studying the law books but because of my past history i know it will be a challenge to prove myself fit but i have a steady job and a safe place to live i have made mistakes but i am moving on with the past and looking forward to my future.

If this is a court-ordered guardianship, you need to petition the court to terminate the guardianship. If the court has set requirements you must meet in association with the termination of guardianship, it would make sense to be prepared to prove that you've met those requirements or why they're no longer applicable.

Please note however, that you have been incarcerated for ALL of the child's life. You will likely not get custody off the bat, if at all, should you petition. The grandmother is the only 'mother' figure the child knows.

1. Sponsored Links