Default Child Neglect Misdemeanor Charges

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: AZ
    Long story and no excuse anyway but today my son fell asleep in the car and I went in the grocery store for shopping for 20-30 mins but checking on him every 5 minutes how he was doing. Every time he was fast asleep and as the windows were open a little he was getting enough air. Checking out took awhile and my son got up meanwhile and was crying in the car which a lady overheard and called the police. I arrived to the car first and got my son out, we checked temperature and everything and he was fine just a little shocked not finding me at first.
    Anyway, I need to go to court but this is my first issue in the States and have no clue what it really means, how it works, what I should do. Also, can it mean they can take my son away from me? Do I need a lawyer? Should I plead guilty or no? What should I say? I didn't intend to do any harm to my son surely and was checking on him quite often but still I shouldn't have done that. I have learned my lesson and will never take fatigue an issue. If he falls asleep, I will just leave the place entirely or take him in with me whether he awakes or not.
    Can anyone help me with information, suggestion?
    Also, green card application is filed. Would this whole thing interfere with it?

Default Re: Child Misdemeanor Charges

What have you been charged with?

I really think you need an attorney. Yes, you can lose custody of your son. Yes, this can interfere with your green card application. But much depends on what you've been charged with.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

First class misdemeanor. The police officer said noone is going to jail or anything and he charged me with the least "threatening" charge. At least that's what he said. However I'm doing a little research online and I'm not sure anymore.

You should expect CPS to become involved (although it's not guaranteed). If you are convicted of any sort of child endangerment (this is why I asked the question - the statute under which you've been charged may make a big difference), that can seriously jeopardize your green-card application.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

So, OK, green Card is in danger, I can accept that.(Is there anything I can do to help with that?) But what about my son? Is he going to be taken away? Do you still think I need a lawyer? Or with this charge I may only face a serious fee. Or also prison?

1. Sponsored Links