Unhappy Can My Niece's Grandpa Register Her in School Without Legal Guardianship

My question involves guardianship in the State of: TEXAS

My brother(has full custody) who lives out of state, made my husband and I my nieces(16yrs old) legal guardians. She recently left my home to live with her grandpa and his wife. She lived with them since she was 18months old and last year came to live with my husband and I. That's when her dad made us her legal guardians. Can her grandpa register her in school without having legal guardianship papers? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Do I have any rights over this, including having her come back to live with us? Please help!

Default Re: Can My Niece's Grandpa Register Her in School Without Legal Guardianship

You can check with the school to determine its requirements for enrollment. The issue is less "will they enroll the child," and more, "will they enroll the child without charging grandpa tuition." If they know that the person who is trying to enroll a child is neither the child's parent nor legal guardian, I would expect them to indicate that tuition must be paid.

If you have a court order granting you guardianship and custody, you can use that court order to assert your rights. If grandma and grandpa want to modify the court order they should do so through the court that issued the order.

1. Sponsored Links