Default Police Allowed Roommate to Approach Me in Private Despite Fear of Being Assaulted

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Illinois

I have had a hard few months with my roommate. Finally after not being able to take any more of her verbal assaults and out of control anger fits, I decided to move out immediately. When I returned to the house to get my things, she was there. Some words were exchanged between us and she got extremely angry and came at like as if she was going to attack me. I stuck my hand up in her face and pulled out my phone to call the police. She did not attack but she was very threatening. I basically ran into the garage and waited there until the police showed up.

Once the police showed up, I explained to them what happened and that I wanted to pack my things and leave but I was afraid that she might attack me. Then the police brought us both inside and told me to go upstairs to pack my things. To my surprise, the roommate came upstairs after me while the police were downstairs. She told me that she was "instructed to come up here". I was in disbelief. I felt somewhat comfortable because I knew the cops were in the house but I could not believe that they would allow this perp to be in the same room as me, unattended by the police. The whole reason I called the police is because I was scared of what this person was going to do and here they tell her to go upstairs into a room with me where we were away and out of sight of the police. I once again felt threatened and scared.

I believe those officers were negligent in doing this. Are my beliefs correct? Can I take any recourse against them?

Default Re: I Believe the Police Were Negligent in Their Duty to Act. a Few Questions

No and no. Without knowing exactly what transpired between the officers and the roommate, it is impossible to determine what their reasoning was.

Default Re: I Believe the Police Were Negligent in Their Duty to Act. a Few Questions

She wasn't a "perp." At that point, there was your feeling of being threatened, but no definitive display of her being a threat. You called the police and they responded to your call. They were there to ensure that you would be able to get your things and probably sent her up there to make sure that you took what belonged to you.

You are free to complain to their agency if you wish. But, I suspect that your roommate had wanted to make sure you did not take things that were not yours, or that you did not damage her property. The police were there solely to keep the peace, not to detain or arrest anyone.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

While in the room with me, she decided to start grabbing my things out of the closet and was throwing them in my direction. If one of those things hit me, then I would strike her back. What would happen then? I understand that the police had no legal rights to keep us separated, but it seems like your just asking for trouble to put us both in a room together out of sight.

Thank you for the responses.

If she was throwing items at you, you would surely have called down to an officer.

As you didn't hit your roommate, that issue is moot.

Quote Quoting 8thgear
    View Post
    While in the room with me, she decided to start grabbing my things out of the closet and was throwing them in my direction.
    That should have been when you went downstairs and advised the officers you wanted her arrested for assault.

If one of those things hit me, then I would strike her back. What would happen then?
    One or both of you might have been arrested for battery.

I understand that the police had no legal rights to keep us separated, but it seems like your just asking for trouble to put us both in a room together out of sight.
    Wise decision by the officers or not, your only recourse is to complain to the officers' agency. There is no lawsuit or other legal action you can take against the officers.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links