Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Bike Helmet Ticket As Minor

My question involves criminal records for the state of: California, Los Angeles.

Okay, so when I was 13 years old I was stopped by an LAPD officer and was issued a citation for not wearing a bicycle helmet and maybe for not having my bike registered. I don't exactly remember. But I was told to go to court, and never went. So what are the consequences and how can I deal with it? I'm 19 now and dealing with immigration so I need to clear this as soon as possible. Thank You

Default Re: Bike Helmet Ticket As Minor

What did they tell you when you called the juvenile court to check the status of the case and what you might do to resolve the old charge (e.g., belatedly pay a fine)?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    What did they tell you when you called the juvenile court to check the status of the case and what you might do to resolve the old charge (e.g., belatedly pay a fine)?
    Well I haven't done anything about it until now. I don't remember the case number and anything like that. I've been stopped and it nothing shows on my record but I believe it's because I gave the officer a different birthdate. The officer took my fingerprints though. So can I go to an LAPD station and have my record printed out by running my fingerprints?

Did I suggest that you go to the police department and ask them to look up your record? I don't recall doing that. I think I suggested that you contact the court.

So in addition to the ticket, you lied to the police about your birth date? Do you have any more surprises for us? Unless you lied about your name, any case that was opened under your name will be... under your name.

Well i didn't state that I lied to him either. I was born on the 18th but was registered on the 28th. You see what happened there? So I didn't lie to the officer, I just didn't know. I always believed i was born on the 18th, but legally on the 28th. I truly didn't know. Plus i was 13 cut me some slack. Do I just contact any court in L.A county, I don't know which court was assigned to my case. If I were to expunge my record would all that be sealed off? Including not showing up for court. The officer was honestly just a dick. I honestly think he pulled this off because of the color of my skin. i hate to pull the race card but I honestly think this was the case. He was threatening me the whole time.

Quote Quoting obsolete102891
    View Post
    Do I just contact any court in L.A county, I don't know which court was assigned to my case.
    What city were you cited in? If your selective memory allows you to remember....

View Post
    If I were to expunge my record would all that be sealed off? Including not showing up for court.
    Before you can get anything expunged, you'll have to deal with it... as in show up in court, enter a plea, pay any fees/fines... etc.

View Post
    The officer was honestly just a dick.
    Oh yes... enforcing the laws makes him a dick!

View Post
    i hate to pull the race card
    Then don't!!!

The name of the town is North Hills,CA. zip code 91343 located in the San Fernando Valley. Well the reason I pull the race card is because like I said he was threatening me the whole time, saying "I see mexicans like you everyday who will spend their whole lives in prison" blah blah. I was shocked. He was treating me as a criminal based on my charming good looks, and soft brown skin. Are you saying it was not over excessive for him to fingerprint me and threaten me by saying that If I lied to him he would find me and throw me in jail? I was calm, and cooperative the whole time.

View Post
    The name of the town is North Hills,CA. zip code 91343 located in the San Fernando Valley.
    Check with the Van Nuys, Burbank, San Fernando and/or Chatsworth courthouses...

View Post
    Well the reason I pull the race card is because like I said he was threatening me the whole time, saying "I see mexicans like you everyday who will spend their whole lives in prison" blah blah. I was shocked.
    And you were so hurt and bothered by that, you forgot to go to court?

View Post
    Are you saying it was not over excessive for him to fingerprint me and threaten me by saying that If I lied to him he would find me and throw me in jail?
    If you didn't have a valid ID, then he could either fingerprint you, or take you in until your identity could be determined. Sounds to me like he gave you a break with the fingerprinting!

View Post
    I was calm, and cooperative the whole time.
    Yeah, I'm sure you were!

Should I do it through the adult or juvenile courts? I was not hurt or bothered, but scared. That and I was careless, I was barely 13 at the time. Young and Naive, not thinking about the consequences. I wasn't aware that It was mandated by law to carry an Identification at all times. I just find the whole thing rather excessive, but I guess a kid on his bike not wearing a helmet is a serious cause for concern. So you're saying you would be o.k with your child being fingerprinted, taken to the police station in cuffs and threatened with jail time all because he didn't have an I.D.

View Post
    Should I do it through the adult or juvenile courts?
    Some courts have a Juvie division, others try those cases in adult court... So you'll have to check with the court, explain the situation to the clerk and see what they find out.

View Post
    I was not hurt or bothered, but scared.
    OK... So "you were scared by that, you forgot to go to court?"

View Post
    That and I was careless, I was barely 13 at the time. Young and Naive, not thinking about the consequences.
    OK... Glad we now know why you didn't show up as required!

View Post
    I wasn't aware that It was mandated by law to carry an Identification at all times. I just find the whole thing rather excessive, but I guess a kid on his bike not wearing a helmet is a serious cause for concern. So you're saying you would be o.k with your child being fingerprinted, taken to the police station in cuffs and threatened with jail time all because he didn't have an I.D.
    If my child was being cited for an alleged violation, and therefore is required to identify him/herself, and the law requires the officer to either fingerprint him/her or take him/her in and contact me, then I guess I have no problem with any of the above.

You can twist it around if you want (nice try)... But remember, this thing did not start because you didn't have an ID, it started because you were NOT wearing a helmet!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast