Default If You Leave Home at Age 16 in the State of Arkansas, Can Your Parents Make You Move

I'm a 16 year old female, I'll be turning 17 in August. I have been in counseling from the time I was in 7th grade to now, and I'm a senior. According to my counselor, I have been the adult in the household and I have raised my sisters who are 13 and 14. My mother married my stepfather (now ex-stepfather) when I was 10 months old and he has always been abusive to everyone in the family, including his two daughters. When I was in 7th grade, my stepfather betrayed my trust in a way that I don't want to share because it still makes me cry. It was reported but no charges were made. My Mother continued to be married to him. I was diagnosed with depression, OCD, & severe anxiety.
    My mother is now divorced and remarried, but since she has been married again, she blames me for her last divorce and accuses me of trying to steal her new husband. She calls me vulgar names, screams at me, and puts me down in every way she can. We have struggled in our relationship our whole life, and this time I am over the edge. I'm taking an antidepressant, sleeping pills, and two different anxiety medicines everyday because I can't handle her verbal abuse. I cry multiple times everyday because of it.
    I said all that so I can ask my question without you all being judgmental.
    What trouble can I legally get into by moving out and staying with my boyfriend without parental permission? His house is right down the street from mine, so its not a huge move. I am not one of those girls to sleep around, I have good Christian morals and this is not about sex. I am fully aware that this may be a stupid mistake with me being so young but honestly I'm just trying my hardest to have a better life. Please give my honest answers. I don't want anything bad to show on my records, I just want out. Thank you.

Default Re: If You Leave Home at Age 16 in the State of Arkansas, Can Your Parents Make You M

If you are not emancipated, you will be considered to be a runaway. If mom calls the police, they will drag you home. I haven't checked to see if you can be charged with anything.

to become emancipated, you must be 17. Most likely even at 17 you would not meet the other requirements found here

I don't know how serious the situation actually is. If you are in danger, contact these people or if imminent, the police.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

Default Re: If You Leave Home at Age 16 in the State of Arkansas, Can Your Parents Make You M

Until you are 18, you live where your parents say you live. You can be charged as a runaway and your boyfriend and his parents can face legal charges as well.

If you are being abused, there are other options available to you. But running away to live with your boyfriend, even if it's just down the block, is not one of them.

1. Sponsored Links