Default Non-Custodial Parent Trying to Move More Than 100 Miles Away

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Michigan

My 14 month old daughter's father and I currently have joint legal custody, but I have sole physical custody. We have a court order for parenting time and it also states in our court order that neither parent is supposed to move more than 100 miles without the other parent's consent or approval of the court.

Her father is wanting to move 113 miles from where his daughter and I currently live to live with his girlfriend. I already told him that I am not going to give permission, but that if the court okay's it I will deal with it as best I can (I have issues with the distance, the long time period in the car, he would no longer have the support of his family as he does now, and my daughter knows no one in that area, just the two of them).

I would like to know if the court would be more apt to just let him move even without my consent? Also if he would then be responsible for all transportation because he is going to cause the greater distance? And lastly if they would change his parenting time being that he'll live further away?

Default Re: Non-Custodial Parent Trying to Move More Than 100 Miles Away

The reality is that the court will not stop Dad from moving. All you have to do, is file a different parenting plan.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

You already have an order in place allowing for a move of 100 miles without court involvement.

Realistically, what is the difference between moving 100 miles away and 113 miles away?

You can take it to court, but for 13 miles you may come across as being petty and uncooperative.

I get your concerns, but she's only 14 months old. Do you want to deal with hostility and strife for the next 17 years? Over 13 miles?

You should think long and hard about how far a little cooperation will get you in the long run. He's going to be allowed to make the move anyhow. Fight the battles that are WORTH fighting.

I am not on bad terms about it with him or anything, we just had a talk about it today and he knows exactly where I'm coming from and is okay with it. He knows I don't agree with the move so I'm not going to just agree to it if I don't think it's what's best for her. And I know they can't stop him from moving, as you can see at the bottom of my post I asked three questions, that's what I was looking for answers to. I don't plan on taking it to court or anything, he has to file the move through friend of the court regardless of whether I agree with it or not and that's what I told him to go ahead and do. Thank you for your input.

1. Sponsored Links