Post Mental Abuse by Parent

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of Virginia. Since about 3-4 years ago, my parents have been divorced and I have been moving back and forth between the two for a majority of this time, living with my mother for one year, with my father for the next. Before they decided upon divorce, they fought a lot and my brother and I witnessed this first-hand. Around the time of their separation, I took fairly ill and felt physically sick, later finding out I had developed IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Also, I had at the time been seeing a psychologist, since the 4th or 5th grade (about 7-8 years ago) for issues with my anger as a child. All has been fine, but this year I am living with my father again and things have been increasingly difficult to bear. I endure a lot of emotional abuse that he pushes upon me including yelling, throwing of objects, slamming of doors, etc. This honestly takes a toll on my mental health, as well as, in-turn, my physical health, as I already have enough stress regarding school on my mind. On top of all of this, my mother pays him a good amount of money in child support to him and yet I see none of it. My question here is, do I have a strong case against my father in the respects of emotional abuse and neglect?

Default Re: Mental Abuse by Parent

From what you say, you have a lot of emotional issues no matter where you live. Things can get tense between teens and their parents; you say that you're sensitive, but I'm not sure that what you're describing isn't normal.

What makes you imagine that your father has to give you a cut of the money he receives to pay for your support - food, shelter, clothes, transportation, school supplies, etc. - it's not your money.

Did you ask if you could move back in with mom?

Default Re: Mental Abuse by Parent

my mother pays him a good amount of money in child support to him and yet I see none of it

You're not supposed to see any of it. That money is to reimburse him for the costs he incurs in supporting you; at no time did it cross the mind of either parent or the judge who ordered the payment that you would be given any of it.

1. Sponsored Links