Default Denied California State Disability Insurance Benefits

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

I was laid off on 4/25/2009. I was receiving unemployment insurance (UI) benefits $$ from 4/25/2009 until 4/25/2011.

In March 2011, I saw my doctor and he found an issue with a major organ in my body. He said we would keep an eye on it, but he never said I couldn't or wasn't able to work.

Then I went to my doctor on 5/4/2011 and he said I had a pretty serious condition afterall and he filled out CA State Disability Insurance (SDI) paperwork for me and mailed it in.

Yesterday, I received a letter of deniel from the EDD stating that I was denied SDI because I could not receive both SDI and UI benefits $$ at the same time. But I wasn't. I have never received any $$ from SDI. The EDD also said in the letter that my doctor put down my date of diagnosis at March 2011 and that I should have not been receiving any UI $ as of March 2011.

So now EDD says I owe them $4000 AND I am to be disqualified from applying for or receiving SDI for the next 3 years!

Again, I did not apply for SDI until my UI ran out AND the doctor never said anything to me about not being able to work EVER.

So what am I supposed to do?

I don't think it's fair that EDD says I owe them back any money because I didn't apply for SDI until my UI ran out.

I don't think it's fair that EDD says I am disqualified for 3 years.

How am I supposed to appeal this?

Any help, ideas, suggestions, or lawyers refferals would be much appreciated!!

Thank you,
    LB

Default Re: Denied California State Disability Insurance Benefits

You should consult a lawyer - see if you can get help through legal aid. We're not going to be able to guide you out of this mess - there are too many issues and agencies involved.

Default Re: Denied California State Disability Insurance Benefits

Thank you for your response. I have consulted an attorney and he helped me draft my appeal letter. Now I just have to wait to see if they grant me an appeal hearing. I already plan on bringing the same attorney.

Have a good weekend,
    LB

1. Sponsored Links