Default Shoplifting at Winco

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California
    I was caught shop lifting less than $30 of misc stuff from Winco foods yeaterday. I was detained outside of the store and brought back to a room where the searched my bag and ask me questions. They then proceded to give me paperwork to fill out- 2 forms to be exact one is the civil paper about paying a fine within 30 days and the other was about me being banned from any Winco foods store for 100 years. They did not call the police. This was my first offense.
    They took down all the info from my id, ask where i worked. Im just wondering what happens at this point..I just paid the civil thing in full ($250) will this payment resolve the situation or does the security guard have the right to file a police report? Can a security guard file a police report without an officer present?
    Will this affect my current job? (since they know the name of my current employer, im wondering if they will contact my employer about this..)
    Like i said this was my first offense, and i have indeed learned my lesson and i definitely wont be stealing again. I just wanted to know what will happen now?

Default Re: Shop Lifting at Winco

They still have time to file charges. But you paid up fast and they may like that. You current employer may never know unless they do a background check etc.

Its a waiting game at this point. Hope for the best and congrads for cooperating and paying the civil restitution.

How long is some time? And the background check would only hit if they actually filed a police report, Right? Or would the civil payment show up on a background check?

Default Re: Shoplifting at Winco

They may have up to a year to press charges. Call them up and ask them.

Quote Quoting maggiemae31645
    View Post
    How long is some time? And the background check would only hit if they actually filed a police report, Right? Or would the civil payment show up on a background check?
    The Civil Demand is just that...a civil matter and not related to any criminal charges. Payment of the Civil Demand will not show up on a criminal background check. The civil matter would only show up on a credit check if the retailer went to court and won a judgement. Since you paid, it's a mute point.

1. Sponsored Links