Exclamation Is it "Child Abandonment" for the Non-Custodial Parent to Move to Another State

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Pennsylvania
    Parents never married, child is now 16 yrs old. Dad is moving to FL and wants visitations, where he will pay for flights, etc. The mother has "issues" with anyone dad is involved with and wants to keep dad in PA, using "child abandonement". What can dad ask for in the mediation that is reasonable?

Default Re: Dad Moving to Florida from Pa, Child 16 Years Old

Mom thinks that Dad leaving the State is going to constitute child abandonment?

Please tell us what, if any, visitation orders are in place. How often has Dad seen kiddo?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

When the child was younger, it was every other weekend. She became more lenient and he would see or take child whenever. Dad lives about 20 minutes away, currently. However, there has been tension over the years because of her control over who dad dates and she does not want her "babies" around another woman. She recently filed for "child support" in order to stop him from moving to Florida, even though he had paid her a lump sum of money a few years before to cover the child support until the child was 18 yrs old. She states it is not about the money, it is about dad abandoning child. DAd is willing to have the child on holidays and summer until child turns 18yrs old. At that point, child will be an adult and can decide when he/she wants to go to Florida.

Was the lump sum payment okayed by a court of law?

If not, it didn't happen.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

If mom is only now initiating child support, most likely there is no court ordered visitation. If this is so, he now needs to file for visitation and get a set schedule that mom will have no say or room to argue about

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting tex11
    View Post
    If mom is only now initiating child support, most likely there is no court ordered visitation.
    How do you get one from the other???? It is ENTIRELY possible for there to be a support order absent a visitation order.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    How do you get one from the other???? It is ENTIRELY possible for there to be a support order absent a visitation order.
    Re-read what you base your comments on, but a little slower

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

I did. Now, you want to explain YOUR comment, which is what I was questioning in the first place? Where is it required to have a visitation order to have support?
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    I did. Now, you want to explain YOUR comment, which is what I was questioning in the first place? Where is it required to have a visitation order to have support?
    I stated "If mom is only now initiating child support, most likely there is no court ordered visitation."

You replied "Where is it required to have a visitation order to have support?"

You are correct there is no presumption of a visitation order where there is an order for support. But conversely it is reasonable to presume a support order is in place if there is already a visitation order in place, which is the only point I made.

And my inference in this case is supported by OP's comments that mom is only now going for child support and that prior visitations were by agreement, suggesting there was also no previous court ordered visitation.

Which leads one to question the logic of your response to my post

1. Sponsored Links