Question Going 15 MPH Over, VC 22349(A) - How Much is the Ticket

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: California.

Hey everyone, thank you in advance for answering my question(s).

I got on the highway for about 15 seconds on Saturday (5/28/11) only to get pulled over once I touched 80. The officer cited me for going 80 on a 65 on Highway 280 heading to Gilroy. The code is 22349(a) VC. I have looked and looked for an exact amount of the fine but without much luck. I know that since I am 15 MPH over the speed limit, that the 22349 fine is $214. However, I would like to know how much this will cost me after including all the fees (including traffic school). This happened around San Jose on 280 heading southbound. This will be my first moving violation after 7 years of driving.

In addition, even if I don't show up to court, will I still have to pay court fees?

Again, thank you all for helping. It's a shame that this happened. I only hit 80 for about 2-4 seconds because I wanted to get to the carpool lane. If I was driving consistently at 80 MPH then maybe I wouldn't feel as bad.

Default Re: 22349(A) Going 15 MPH Over. How Much is the Ticket

Quote Quoting rivaladversary
    View Post
    My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: California.

Hey everyone, thank you in advance for answering my question(s).

I got on the highway for about 15 seconds on Saturday (5/28/11) only to get pulled over once I touched 80. The officer cited me for going 80 on a 65 on Highway 280 heading to Gilroy. The code is 22349(a) VC. I have looked and looked for an exact amount of the fine but without much luck. I know that since I am 15 MPH over the speed limit, that the 22349 fine is $214. However, I would like to know how much this will cost me after including all the fees (including traffic school).
    The fine by itself should be closer to $230. The court's traffic school administrative fee will run you between $49 & $69 (depending on the court). Then you'll have to choose a traffic school from a list given to you by the court, and you'll also have to pay them their fee and I've seen them as low as $15.

View Post
    This will be my first moving violation after 7 years of driving.
    Congratulations!

View Post
    In addition, even if I don't show up to court, will I still have to pay court fees?
    In California, it starts out as a "base fine". Then several different amounts normally referred to as "penalties and assessments" are applied (added)regardless of how you proceed with your case. So you're not saving anything by not fighting it, but you're not adding anything if you do!

View Post
    Again, thank you all for helping. It's a shame that this happened. I only hit 80 for about 2-4 seconds because I wanted to get to the carpool lane. If I was driving consistently at 80 MPH then maybe I wouldn't feel as bad.
    Well, for future reference, the vehicle code section you were cited for violating specifically states:
    22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

... As you can see, it mentions nothing with regards to a time period. So it doesn't matter whether you exceeded the posted limit for 2 seconds, OR, exceeded it for a half hour, you are in violation and can be cited.

Default Re: 22349(A) Going 15 MPH Over. How Much is the Ticket

So I'm looking at a $300 ticket including driving school? It really sucks but it could be worse. I called the court this morning and the clerk told me I'm going to have to wait for 60 days until I get the courtesy notice for me to know how much it's gonna be.

1. Sponsored Links