Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Parent Signing Over Rights to Grandparent

My question involves a child custody case from the State of Kentucky. I was just wondering how a parent would go about giving up custody and signing over their rights to a grandparent that currently has guardianship of the child, and whom the child has been with for 4 years while the parent has not been living in the same state for about 2.

This parent claims that they want to sign over their rights, so I was just curious what this grandparent would need to do to get this done? And if possible, without an attorney?

Default Re: Parent Signing Over Rights to Grandparent

Where is the other parent?

The other parent is in and out of jail in Kentucky, but also has nothing to do with the child. The child has maybe seen the other parent 4-5 times in his 4 years. The parent wanting to sign over rights is in Ohio.

If you mean "sign over rights" as in "grant guardianship", that's a done deal.

If you mean "sign over rights" as in "consent to adoption," the grandparents want that and the other parent is either willing to consent or an appropriate target for termination of parental rights, that's the mechanism to fully give up your rights to the grandparents.

By "signing over rights" I meant that the parent wanted to give custody of their child to the grandparent. How would one go about doing this to make sure that it is final and so that the child does not have to go back to the parent if something were to happen to the grandparent?

That process, once again, is called "adoption".

And what would need to be done in this adoption process to get it going and the ball rolling?

A consultation with an adoption attorney.

Adoption is never a do-it-yourself project even when all parties agree. You have to get those Is dotted and Ts crossed.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

So, signing over custody to the grandparent simply could not be done by talking to the judge that granted guardianship to the grandparent?

If not, what all would take place with the adoption attorney? Would it simply be the signing of papers or what?

What would this parent do to get guardianship back? Could the parent simply take the child back or would proof of being able to take care of the child be required?

So, signing over custody to the grandparent simply could not be done by talking to the judge that granted guardianship to the grandparent?
    Correct.

If not, what all would take place with the adoption attorney? Would it simply be the signing of papers or what?
    Generally, there's a pile of paperwork and sometimes a home study. Then there's a hearing before the judge or magistrate.

What would this parent do to get guardianship back? Could the parent simply take the child back or would proof of being able to take care of the child be required?
    After the adoption is finalized, NEITHER biological parent can simply take the child back. The child's legal parents would be the grandparents, the biological parents would be legal strangers with no rights or responsibilities to the child at all.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast