Default Becoming a Police Officer With a Felony Conviction for Nonpayment of Child Support

My question involves a background check in the State of: Missouri

I'm debating about pursuing a career in law enforcement. I'm pursuing my(ACCOUNTING) MBA,CPA and CFA and will have 2 degrees and 2 certifications 1-2 months after graduation. I have the following flaws in my background. I plea guilty to non payment of child support(felony) and was placed on 5 year probation. I since then paided off my child support and got off probation early. I also have a visitation agreement in place for my son. Along with the child support train my license was suspended for not paying. What do yall think?

Default Re: (Missouri) Sis Probation(Child Support) Becoming an Police Officer/Agent

I think that an admitted felony puts you so far back in the hiring queue that you should look for a job outside of law enforcement.

There are hundreds if not thousands of qualified non felons lining up for every job.

I would also contact the CPA board to find out what a felony involving fiscal irresponsibility is going to do to your certification.

A felony child support is not a minor issue... is shows an extremely long term decision to ignore a court order.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Default Re: (Missouri) Sis Probation(Child Support) Becoming an Police Officer/Agent

A felony conviction will be an automatic bar to employment as a peace officer. You will have to look into any possibility of getting that conviction expunged with firearm rights restored before you might have any chance at employment as a peace officer.

Your education, while somewhat impressive, is only part of the equation. As Cyjeff mentioned, these jobs are competitive these days and that prior conviction will weigh heavily against you.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

I have no felony conviction! I can still owe a weapon in all 50 states. I can get a CCW in the majority of the states besides Missouri and probably a hand full of others. I won't have any problems finding a job with a public/private accounting firm. My past won't affect my eligibility for employment(non law enforcement) or my certs. I figured it would be interested to be an accountant for the DEA. That's why I'm here to get some answers

Quote Quoting ZyncAmex
    View Post
    I have no felony conviction! I can still owe a weapon in all 50 states.
    But ... uh ... you wrote:

"I plea guilty to non payment of child support(felony)"

Did you not mean to write that you were convicted of a felony?

Per 18 USC 922 you would be prohibited.

And as long as you have a felony conviction, you would not pass a background to work for the DEA, either.

So, what have you failed to tell us? Has your record been expunged? Are you certain that your firearms rights have been restored? In some states the expungement order must specifically reduce the offense AND restore firearms rights ... not sure about MO.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

I took a plea, the judge in turn gave me SIS probation. Which means once all my conditions of my probation have been meant there will be no conviction on my record(closed). Someone changed the title of my thread here is the original title " (Missouri) Sis Probation(Child Support) Becoming an Police Officer/Agent " In Missouri if you plea guilty to a felony MO won't grant you a CCW permit. Good thing I already have my Utah permit already

Quote Quoting ZyncAmex
    View Post
    I took a plea, the judge in turn gave me SIS probation. Which means once all my conditions of my probation have been meant there will be no conviction on my record(closed). Someone changed the title of my thread here is the original title " (Missouri) Sis Probation(Child Support) Becoming an Police Officer/Agent " In Missouri if you plea guilty to a felony MO won't grant you a CCW permit. Good thing I already have my Utah permit already
    It sounds like you entered a deferred entry of judgement program of some kind.

So, if there is no felony conviction on your record then there should be no LEGAL bar to employment with a law enforcement agency. However, you will still likely be required to reveal the arrest and conviction during a background so the agency involved will still be able to consider that situation in its hiring decision.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

1. Sponsored Links