Default Can a Privacy Fence Be Exactly on Property Line or Does It Have to Be Offset

My question involves real estate located in the State of: SC

My new neighbors are loud and their kids and dogs are all over my property. I am going to put up a privacy fence. I still have the markers from their survey and my old survey which I will use for the fence line. I told the neighbor nicely that I plan to put up the fence and asked him if he wanted a double sided fence so that it would look nicer on his side and asked him to pay the extra, which would be less than half of the price.

He got mad, of course, and said that I couldn't put it directly on the line and wanted a two foot offset. Threatened to sue if I did. I wouldn't have a problem with the offset since I have 5 acres, He has about 3/4ths of an acre, however I would have to cut down 50+ year old trees if I put it on a two foot offset or give up about eight foot and leave the trees on his side.

I have called county offices and searched online trying to find out what is legal without any success. I live way out in the country and building permits aren't required for anything other than a new house.

Default Re: Privacy Fence, Can It Be Put Exactly on Property Line or Does It Have to Be Offse

Since I'm not from SC I can only offer general advice. In my experience, the "safest" way to build a fence is to build it up to, but with no part, including below ground fence piles, touching or crossing the boundary line.

I understand you're in a rural neighborhood and permits are not wholly necessary, but your Town should still have building codes governing fences and other structures. Get a copy of the ordinance and read through it. If there are parts you can't understand, call your Town and ask them to explain it. Or, there will be local professionals in your area. Call a local surveyor or builder, and see if they understand the building codes as they apply to fences.

The ability to point to a rule on a page of the Town building code for your basis of where you build your fence can be a powerful tool in quieting a neighbor.

Lastly, wherever the fence ends up, it might be a good idea to call your Surveyor and have him locate your new fence in relation to the boundary line and update and record your plat. Why do this? It will put on record where your line is actually located and ensure that the public understands that the fence is not necessarily your boundary. From the little you've posted, this might be especially wise given the neighbor's threats.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: Privacy Fence, Can It Be Put Exactly on Property Line or Does It Have to Be Offse

Thanks, I will call my surveyor.

Default Re: Can a Privacy Fence Be Exactly on Property Line or Does It Have to Be Offset

Quote Quoting wertach
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: SC
    I am going to put up a privacy fence...told the neighbor nicely that I plan to put up the fence ...He got mad, of course, and said that I couldn't put it directly on the line and wanted a two foot offset.
    Have you thought about how you are going to maintain the two feet of your property on the other side of the fence?

Default Re: Can a Privacy Fence Be Exactly on Property Line or Does It Have to Be Offset

The property on the other side of the fence is another concern for me. I f I give up 2' to 8' of my land I'm thinking it would be theirs after a few years. Called my surveyor today and he said I can put it directly on the line as long as no posts or anything goes over the line. He is going to come later this week and put up all of the markings for the fence crew, another $500 for the surveyor. He also suggested that I get someone to remove the 10' of asphalt that is on my side. It was an old abandoned driveway and they may want to use that against me since it goes all of the way to their main road. I have been here since 1979, they have been here 8 months..... I am a quiet neighbor the only noise I make is when I cut grass and plow my garden. They mow on Sunday during church services and one church is 100 yards away and another 300 yards away! I'm not religious just respectful! Newbies Peeve me off!

1. Sponsored Links