Default Sued for personal injury and family problems from auto ramming

I was involved in an auto accident appx 1 year ago and was recently sued because of it. I had pulled out of the entrance of my neighborhood and didnt see a F-550 truck coming at me. The speed limit for the truck was 30mph and he didnt attempt to stop, hit my drivers side and spun me around. He suffered a fender bender while my small truck was totalled. It was my fault and my insurance took care of the claim. He is now suing me claiming lost work present and future, lost ability of work present and future, loss of his relations with his family pres and future etc, though he was fine at the time of the accident. Since I was a minor at the time, he has also sued my father, since I have no money, who's insurance policy I am on. We have offered to settle for 5k but the claims he will take nothing less than 20k which I am unwilling to do, as well as my insurance company. I was not injured in this accident and I was in the worst possible position as well as my passenger, and I know very well he was not injured as well. I need some advice on what I can do to alleviate this situation. I know i need an attorney now, but what will my options and succsess probably be?

Thanks in advance,
    -yoko

Default Re: Sued for personal injury and family problems from auto ramming

Quote Quoting dewahy
    I was involved in an auto accident appx 1 year ago and was recently sued because of it. I had pulled out of the entrance of my neighborhood and didnt see a F-550 truck coming at me. The speed limit for the truck was 30mph and he didnt attempt to stop, hit my drivers side and spun me around. He suffered a fender bender while my small truck was totalled. It was my fault and my insurance took care of the claim. He is now suing me claiming lost work present and future, lost ability of work present and future, loss of his relations with his family pres and future etc, though he was fine at the time of the accident. Since I was a minor at the time, he has also sued my father, since I have no money, who's insurance policy I am on. We have offered to settle for 5k but the claims he will take nothing less than 20k which I am unwilling to do, as well as my insurance company. I was not injured in this accident and I was in the worst possible position as well as my passenger, and I know very well he was not injured as well. I need some advice on what I can do to alleviate this situation. I know i need an attorney now, but what will my options and succsess probably be?

Thanks in advance,
    -yoko

My response:

You don't understand how the human body works. The body has "protection" systems; e.g., adrenaline, shock, etc. In other words, the body tries it's best to protect itself from pain and other injury. In soft tissue injury accidents (no broken bones), the body may start to feel pain the following day, a few days, even weeks later. That's why there's a claim against you.

Now, unless your insurance company settles with the F-550 driver, then he will sue you and the owner of the vehicle. Your insurance company will supply you with a Defense Attorney at no extra cost to you (that's one of the reasons why you pay premiums). Then, you and your insurance company will be "connected to the hip" throughout the duration of the lawsuit, and you will assist your defense attorney with whatever he/she says - - because that's in the insurance contract.

Hopefully, your case will, at some point, settle. However, the F-550 driver could take this matter to trial if you don't have enough money (insurance coverage). If he wins, your insurance will pay UP TO the limits of your policy, and if he wins a judgment for more, then your family will be on the hook for anything above the insurance policy limits.

Good luck.

IAAL

1. Sponsored Links