Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Dispute Over My Claiming My Ex-Boyfriend as a Dependent on My Taxes

So if mom earned nothing in 2010 and dad earned nothing either who is supporting the child, you entirely?

Why are you even talking to her? How about telling her not to contact you again, ever, and that if she sets foot on your property you'll be contacting the police to have her charged with trespass?

I was supporting him entirely the time he was living at my house. Other than that the mom was living on welfare and taking his SSI money which she has direct deposited into her bank acct which only she has access to. So I never saw a dime that entire time. As far as what she spent it on, I have no clue. She was constantly getting evicted from all her apartments.

@ Mr. Knowitall. That is what I am planning on doing if she does. I just want to cover all my basis to see if she has any rights to my belongings due to all of this.

But again, the child didn't live with you but 1 month in 2010 and you only provided support for the 1 month in that year.

However to answer your question, she has no right to your belongings.

Quote Quoting Jens_50
    View Post
    the son's father (my boyfriend) gave me permission to claim the boy. Which is what I did. No one else claimed him. I claimed his son and then the father (my boyfriend) spent all of the money he got for his son. I took my and my daughter's money and bought the tv, computer, etc. But now his son's mother thinks she has all rights to the these things I bought with mine and my daughter's side of the money
    The child's father could not give you the right to claim the child unless you actually qualified to claim the child, which you absolutely DID NOT.

In order to claim a non-related child, the child must have lived with you for the entire year and you must have provided more than 50% of the child's support. If you only started supporting the child in December then you absolutely did not qualify to claim the child for 2010.

The child's mother cannot come after your "stuff". However, the child's mother can certainly claim the child herself and then the IRS would investigate. From what information you have provided its virtually guaranteed that the IRS would rule in favor of the child's mother and you would have to pay back to the IRS whatever money you received as a result of claiming that child.

What's more, if you claimed EIC for the child, you will be in a WORLD of hurt.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2