Default How Long Does it Take for Charges to be Filed After You Make a Police Report

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

Well I filed a police report I'd say maybe 1 1/2-2 weeks ago now for a sexual assault. My question is how long does it take for charges to be filed aftera report is made? And will I be informed prior if charges are or aren't being pursued?

Default Re: From Police Report to Charges

The time frame can widely vary. Some cases take years before charges are filed. A lot will depend upon the details of the case. If it is a he said/she said then it may never get as far as charges. When you filed the report did you get any contact number for a detective? That is the only person who can tell you how far along your case is.

I did not get a number for the detective. The police officer only told me the report was going to be forewarded to the detective and I was sent on my way

I'd suggest contacting the department and inquirying where in the system your report is. If it is a he/she said type of report then it will probably be given a low priority which will slow down the time it takes to investigate.

you can file criminal charges against the accused at anytime. Everyone has the right to do so, it will need to be filed with an approved magistrate or a county or district attorney. Just remember, that since you are the accuser, you will have to have to bearing of proof and not the other way around. I know it may suck, but the accused has the right to be presumed innocent.

Quote Quoting mindrd
    View Post
    you can file criminal charges against the accused at anytime. Everyone has the right to do so, it will need to be filed with an approved magistrate or a county or district attorney. Just remember, that since you are the accuser, you will have to have to bearing of proof and not the other way around. I know it may suck, but the accused has the right to be presumed innocent.
    No.

One can file a complaint. The prosecuting attorney is who files charges.

and the accuser does not have to have proof, the state does if they expect to prosecute the person.

You might check with local law enforcement or the prosecutor's office to see if they have a victim's advocacy section. They have such things here in Indianapolis to support victims of similar crimes as your situation.

1. Sponsored Links