Angry Fix-It Ticket for Not Having a Front License Plate

My question involves vehicle maintenance laws for the State of: California

My car is a Mitsubishi Eclipse. The newest body model of it. When I bought it from the dealership it was basically a new car but labeled as a used car since it was used as a model. When I took it home, they only gave me 1 license plate. They said that the front does not need one. I never questioned it. I've had this car since 2006. I've been driving the since then. Been followed by cops lots of times and even got a speeding ticket with this car. Well, I was driving home from work and the cop hails me as I was turing onto my street. Basically asked about my front license plate and I said I never had one. Now I don't know about cars or car laws except the basics and of course the road law. So I been reading up on it today and some sites say there are some commercial vehicles that don't have to have one and that the dealer is supposed to give me 2 license plates before I take it home with me. Is my car one those vehicles that don't need a front license plate since its not made to have one? Is it true that the dealer is supposed to give me 2 license plate or tell me I have a bracket somewhere in my car for a front license plate? I know its a fix it ticket and I now know of the license plate law but like I said my car isn't built to have a front license plate. Do I see judge about this? Or should I just go and fix it with no fussing?

Default Re: What Can I Do About My Fix It Ticket in Regards to Not Having a Front License Pla

You were lied to when someone told you that only one plate was required (provided you were in California. There are 19 states that will allow only the rear plate of which California is not one).
    The only way to correct this is to get a front plate (you'll most likely have to pay the DMV for it) and then purchase or otherwise obtain a bracket to hold it
    You then need to go to the DMV or someone else authorized to sign the certificate of correction.
    Bring that and $25 to the court before your trial date and all will be forgiven.

Default Re: What Can I Do About My Fix It Ticket in Regards to Not Having a Front License Pla

Quote Quoting camspam19
    View Post
    but like I said my car isn't built to have a front license plate. Do I see judge about this?
    There is no such thing as "my car wasn't built for it". And the judge isn't going to buy it. Some cars do have the bracket for the front plate, others don't but it doesn't mean one cannot be installed.

Here's how to get the replacement plates from the DMV which will cost you $19. You can then go to a Mitsubishi dealer for the bracket or buy an after market one. And then read the instructions on the back of your citation for the rest...

Alternatively, you can opt to pay the full fine (approximately $190 or so) but you might get cited for it again, so you might as well take care of it once and for all.
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

Angry Re: What Can I Do About My Fix It Ticket in Regards to Not Having a Front License Pla

So I got sold a car and the dealership only gave me 1 license plate knowing that the law requires a vehicle to have 2 license plate? And yes I did check the rear plates to see if they put it there also from reading peoples previous post but there is only 1. I would remember signing something my plates needing 2 or getting 2 since I asked them about it. Now I have to buy/order another plate for my car...which costs whatever...find out how to put that license plate on the front...then pay the fix it fine...and get the sheriff to sign it off.....and send it or see the judge about it. Ummm since its a fix it ticket...I do have a certain amount of time to fix it in which they can't give me another ticket for it right? Its my only vehicle to use to get to work and back. Thanks in advance for the help.

They can keep giving you tickets until you fix it. The time limit is just that it lets you out of the full fine if you correct it.

Quote Quoting camspam19
    View Post
    So I got sold a car and the dealership only gave me 1 license plate knowing that the law requires a vehicle to have 2 license plate?
    Unfortunately, yes...

Quote Quoting camspam19
    View Post
    And yes I did check the rear plates to see if they put it there also from reading peoples previous post but there is only 1.
    Well, if you bough it used, that may suggest that it only had one plate when the dealer acquired it (the previous owner's choice... I guess)!

Quote Quoting camspam19
    View Post
    I would remember signing something my plates needing 2 or getting 2 since I asked them about it.
    I just recently "heard" (and yet have not been able to verify) that dealers are now required to have the buyer sign a waiver if the he/she only wants one plate installed on a vehicle. If it did in fact just recently become law, then it was not so back in 2006.

Quote Quoting camspam19
    View Post
    Now I have to buy/order another plate for my car...which costs whatever...find out how to put that license plate on the front...then pay the fix it fine... and get the sheriff to sign it off.....and send it or see the judge about it.
    If cost is that big an issue, then you might want ot get the certificate of correction at your local CHP office and they will sign it off at no cost; whereas if you go to a Sheriff or Police Dept, they may charge you $15 to do so.

And no, if you are only submitting the correction certificate, you do NOT have to see the judge... You can get it done at the traffic clerk window.

Quote Quoting camspam19
    View Post
    I do have a certain amount of time to fix it in which they can't give me another ticket for it right?
    As Ron has already stated, they can cite you for it again, until it is corrected.

As for the citation you have already received, you must submit the certificate of correction on or before the date shown on your citation. If you are unable to get it done by that date, then you can either call the number on your citation, go online to your county court website or visit your friendly court clerk to request an extension.

Good luck!

*P(re)S - I apologize in advance*

You claim it was a "New" car used as a model that's why it was sold as used. Dealers will never register a car simply as a model car. That is why they have dealer plates. Seems like someone didn't like it because it wasn't fast or furious enough for them (sorry, couldn't resist)

Technically, if they buy a car with only one plate from someone and resell it (like in your situiation). They are supposed to take the one plate and request new plates to be sent to you in all the paperwork they do. It looks like they did not do that in your case. Now you have a ticket for something that is now your responsibility to take care of.

I understand it (for a lack of a better term) sucks. However, all you have to do is go to the DMV with your one plate, tell them you need two. (also tell them if you have changed your address, if not 4159 VC). They will take the plate and have two plates sent to you. Once you get both plates, you need to mount one in the front. If you need a mounting bracket you need to buy one, or drill holes in your bumper, your choice. With the remaining plate, mount that where your old one was in the back. Make sure both plates are between 12" to 60" to the ground and are level to the ground (5201 VC). Take the stickers which are attached to the registration, and place the month one in the upper left rectangle that says "MO". The year sticker (should be green with 2012 on it) goes in the upper right rectangle that says "YR". Don't forget to place the stickers on the rear plate, if not, you are in violation of 5204(a) VC if you drive it or park in on a street. Do not place a clear or smoked shiled or anything else over the plates (5201(f) or (g) VC). Also, take the registration paper and put it in your glovebox. If you forget, you are in violation of 4454(a) VC. Take your ticket to an officer, have him sign it off. Then follow the instructions on the ticket or curtosey notice and send that proof of correction to the court along with your payment. You should now never have a problems with 5200(a) VC. (By the way, if you are keeping track, that is 6 violations for plates alone that I just described)

Now, take all the info you have, with all the reciepts of the money you spent to the dealer and ask the manager for compensation. They may point to a signed document "waiving" the dealerships liabilty for your vehicle not having a front plate (they sneek those in. See quote below). Most people don't even realize they signed in it the mound of paperwork they signed. Damn snake used (model) car salesmen!

V C Section 11713.17 Front License Plate Bracket
    Front License Plate Bracket
    11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Quote Quoting sniper
    View Post
    They [DMV] will take the plate and have two plates sent to you.
    Actually, most if not all DMV branch offices will hand you the new plates right then and there. No waiting for the plates, no risk of delay on getting it corrected.
    Quote Quoting sniper
    View Post
    Now, take all the info you have, with all the reciepts of the money you spent to the dealer and ask the manager for compensation.
    I actually did this a few years back after a body shop lost one of my plates after doing work on my car. The manager issued me a check on the spot. Of course mine was about 2 weeks after the fact (not 4 years like in this case) but its worth the try.

1. Sponsored Links