Default Is It Illegal to Use Random Information to Obtain an "Anonymous" Greendot Card

My question involves criminal law for the state of: FL

Hey,

I have been searching for ways to obtain an anonymous debit card (one that I can take physical cash out at an ATM). I do not intend to use it illegally, however I feel as an American I am entitled to privacy, something the internet and bank accounts offer little these days. The GreenDot card sold at CVS is a true debit card, with a true bank account number that you can transfer funds in via paypal. The problem is this card requires an SSN, name, and other identifying details. Is it illegal to make up completely BOGUS info (not someones actual info as that would be identity theft) to verify this card? After all, whos identity am I stealing? It seems very grey, but I'm not sure about illegal. Before just saying "it's illegal" could you please show me a law stating this?

Regards,
    JD

Default Re: Is It Illegal to Use Random Information to Obtain an "Anonymous" Greendot Card

How are you going to prove the SSN does not correspond to a real one? While are SSN's that are not issuable, most of the banking software knows how to test for these and you won't get away with using it anyhow.

If the account requires the SSN to clear the requirement for backup withholding, you're probably violating federal law by lying as well.

Default Re: Is It Illegal to Use Random Information to Obtain an "Anonymous" Greendot Card

Is it illegal to make up completely BOGUS info (not someones actual info as that would be identity theft) to verify this card?
    Depends. If you're doing so with fraudulent intent, yes.

That's hardly the point, though. If the service requires you to submit a valid SSN (likely required to clear the backup withholding requirement, as Ron notes), then you're required to do so in order to use their service. If you don't want to follow their rules, you don't get to play in their sandbox.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

@LawRearch

==
    If you don't want to follow their rules, you don't get to play in their sandbox.
    ==

I understand that. They have every right to kick me out of the program for lying, however that doesn't mean it's a legal issue.

Lying in the context in question usually falls under the categoty of "fraud".
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

So there's no way to be anonymous in this society anymore? It seems like everything is tracked. It's crazy

Welcome to life in the age of the PATRIOT Act. I don't like it any more than you do, but the only way to combat it is to not vote for the clowns who think Security Kabuki keeps anyone safe.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Welcome to life in the age of the PATRIOT Act. I don't like it any more than you do, but the only way to combat it is to not vote for the clowns who think Security Kabuki keeps anyone safe.
    I hate to tell you, but these rules and laws were around way before "the Patriot Act."

The "Patriot Act" is not the boogey man. Financial fraud, money laundering, and other criminal enterprises caused many of these rules to be in place long before we had ever heard of Osama Bin Ladin.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links