Post Shoplifted,felony,18yrs Old

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia, I got caught shoplifting from sears, about $256.00 worth. I am wondering if i can get time in jail. This is my first offense and I have no excuse. Stupidity is the key. I make all A's and B's and no touble in school. This is my senior year but can i get time, if i do how much, and i know im guilty so is the best choice to just plead guilty? I got taking downtown and i filled some papers out and mugshot and finger print then they let me go and court date is set for monday..

Default Re: Will I Get Jail for First Offense Shoplifting

What area of VA? As you know $200 or more is a felony. Southwest VA is harder on shoplifting than NOVA. You could serve some jail time.
    Not worth my time...

Default Re: Will I Get Jail for First Offense Shoplifting

hampton virigina

hampton virigina
    Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    What area of VA? As you know $200 or more is a felony. Southwest VA is harder on shoplifting than NOVA. You could serve some jail time.

Post 18 Years Old, First Offense and Felony Shoplifting

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Hampton va, i am 18, a senior in high school and A B grades. There are no excuses. I dont have money for a lawyer or a PD so I am going to plead guilty because i signed the papers in the store saying i did it. I've been to the police station and i've already done finger prints and mug shots. What will my sentence be, will they just give me community service and fines and prohbation? My court date is monday morning?

Default Re: 18 Years Old,first Offense and Felony Shoplifting

It's your arraignment or formal reading of charges. Plead not guilty and get a pd. Pleading guilty to theft is going to ruin your chances at getting jobs. If you want jail time and a record plead guilty
    Not worth my time...

So if i plead guitly ill get jail time?
    If i plead not guitly what then? im lying
    uhm if i plead not guilty do i have another court date?
    and the ward asked me did i want the court to appoint someone,i said yes so...?
    im sorry for all of the questions

So if i plead guitly ill get jail time?
    If i plead not guitly what then? im lying
    uhm if i plead not guilty do i have another court date?
    and the ward asked me did i want the court to appoint someone,i said yes so...?
    im sorry for all of the questions

Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    It's your arraignment or formal reading of charges. Plead not guilty and get a pd. Pleading guilty to theft is going to ruin your chances at getting jobs. If you want jail time and a record plead guilty

Entering a plea is not testifying. You're not stating if you did it or not nor are you under oath.

This is an extremely serious charge. You need a lawyer. Plead not guilty and refuse to discuss the case until you have one.
    You want the attorney (appointed if you are indigent) before you go further.

Of course you are going to have another court dates, you will have several (even if you plead guilty).

So i asked them to appoint an attorney or pd but i havent heard from one at all... will they show up in court tomorrow at all?
    Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Entering a plea is not testifying. You're not stating if you did it or not nor are you under oath.

This is an extremely serious charge. You need a lawyer. Plead not guilty and refuse to discuss the case until you have one.
    You want the attorney (appointed if you are indigent) before you go further.

Of course you are going to have another court dates, you will have several (even if you plead guilty).

If they don't, then plead NOT GUILTY and ask for a Public Defender.

You are not lying by pleading Not Guilty....you are asking for your right to a fair trial. In most cases, the Prosecutor will try to make a Plea Deal with your lawyer/P.D. That deal you would plea guilty to.

you are going to have one miserable time finding a job with a record for shoplifting. This is why you want to plead Not Guilty, get a P.D. and get the charge reduced to something less.

Read the stickied threads at the top of the forum. Lots of info for you there.

1. Sponsored Links