Default License Suspended In One State, Canceled In Another

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Ca

At the time I had a Florida drivers license. I was driving through South Carolina and received a citation for possession of marijuana. *Soon after I moved to California and got a California drivers license. *When I went to get my license in California, I gave the lady at the DMV my Florida drivers license but because I had a California license before she told me that she was to treat the transaction as a renewal and gave back my Flirida license. *A couple months later I received a notice from California stating my license would be canceled in 30 days due to South Carolina suspending my license. *30 days has passed and my California license was canceled. *

Since, I've checked online and found that my Florida drivers license is still valid as well as my Florida registration. *My question is this... Since my California license was canceled and not suspended can I just put my Florida plates back on my car and drive with my Florida drivers license and registration?

Forgot to mention that the letter from California said my license was cancelled and I would have to reapply for a new license.

Default Re: License Suspended In One State, Canceled In Another

Should we infer that you continue to live and work in California? You use the word "canceled" but the reason you chose not to complete the legally required process of obtaining a driver's license in California that accurately presents your current address is that your suspension was abstracted to California. If you choose to ignore your suspension and drive in California, with the idea that you have a valid Florida license, if pulled over you would face issues with your failure to obtain a California license and vehicle registration in a timely manner and, depending upon how your out-of-state suspension was registered with the DMV, could also be regarded as driving on a suspended license.

Quote Quoting Ocean350
    View Post
    Forgot to mention that the letter from California said my license was cancelled and I would have to reapply for a new license.
    Just because it said you can reapply, does not mean that your application will be approved. In fact, and by virtue of the South Carolina suspension, California is not going to issue you a new license until the South Carolina suspension is lifted.

Additionally, just because you Florida license is "not expired" does not mean your Florida driving privilege is not suspended. Your South Carolina suspension is reported to the National driver Register and is in essence, a suspension of your driving privilege in any and all states.

Lastly, no, you can't just switch your Cali plates and drive around with Florida plates. Your Florida plates became invalid the day you switched to California plates.

(This is NOT, by any means, a game of hide and seek)!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Just because it said you can reapply, does not mean that your application will be approved. In fact, and by virtue of the South Carolina suspension, California is not going to issue you a new license until the South Carolina suspension is lifted.
    I know I won't be approved if I reapply now...the only reason of me mentioning it is that as far as me and California are concerned my license with them was never suspended (bad terms) it was cancelled(good terms).

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Additionally, just because you Florida license is "not expired" does not mean your Florida driving privilege is not suspended. Your South Carolina suspension is reported to the National driver Register and is in essence, a suspension of your driving privilege in any and all states.
    I never said anything about "not expired"...drivers in Florida can get an up to the date/time(to the minute) status on the license and when I look it up...it shows "VALID" not suspended/revoked/cancelled or anything else. It also shows an expiration of 2017.

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Lastly, no, you can't just switch your Cali plates and drive around with Florida plates. Your Florida plates became invalid the day you switched to California plates.
    Actually my Florida plates/registration are still valid according to the Florida DMV system (also available online, I actually ordered a duplicate copy of my Florida registration and it arrived in the mail. To the California address, mind you). I still own the home back in Florida and can recieve mail there if I wanted.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Should we infer that you continue to live and work in California? You use the word "canceled" but the reason you chose not to complete the legally required process of obtaining a driver's license in California that accurately presents your current address is that your suspension was abstracted to California. If you choose to ignore your suspension and drive in California, with the idea that you have a valid Florida license, if pulled over you would face issues with your failure to obtain a California license and vehicle registration in a timely manner and, depending upon how your out-of-state suspension was registered with the DMV, could also be regarded as driving on a suspended license.
    This is my main question...was my suspension abstracted to California? If so...wouldn't they have suspended my license instead of cancelling it? The way I see it is...the fact that my license was cancelled and not suspended...I am on good terms with California in that I can get relicensed it their state just so as long as there aren't any other states reporting anything. Plus I never had a South Carolina License...so they can't "suspend" my license right? They can suspend my driving privleges in their state? It's ultimately up to my licensing state to suspend my license. And currently, if you check the online status of my license in Florida it shows as "VALID" not suspended. So I don't really have a suspended license in any state, do I?

1. Sponsored Links