Default When Does Being Followed By the Police Become Harassment

Ok, sily question, at what point does following become harrassment? It seems to me, since a cop following you makes the normal person panic, i.e worry about a light out, did i forget to signal what could be wrong with my car etc. It seems cops should or would be limited to following to 1-2 miles unless they are suspecting you of a crime that they have proof to suspect you of. i.e they suspect your DUI pull you over but you are sleepy,

Default Re: When Does Being Followed By the Police Become Harassment

It becomes "harassment" when they do something that might constitute harassment. Sharing the road with you? Not harassment.

Quote Quoting nohsp4u
    View Post
    f. i.e they suspect your DUI pull you over but you are sleepy,
    If you are sleepy enough so you drive as if you are drunk, that is illegal in many states.

So what happens if the officer just happens to be traveling in the same direction as a driver to a destination father than 2 miles? Are they supposed to switch to an alternate route because some nervous nellie can't handle having a police officer behind them?

As JK pointed out driving drowsy can be illegal depending on the state. Studies have shown driving drowsy can be just as dangerous as driving drunk.

Many reasons for a policeman to follow. Many people done realize after market tinted windows is one of them. Did you cross a yellow line, did you forget to use your turn signals, where you in a high crime area, where you playing music loudly, did you ahve you seat belt on, did you swerve a bit, did you car look like one the police were looking for and the police had to wait while dispatch ran your plates.

Many reasons.

I would call it harasment if the policman followed you on a daily basis and waited around the corner of your house for you to leave.

Quote Quoting DaveJames
    View Post

I would call it harasment if the policman followed you on a daily basis and waited around the corner of your house for you to leave.
    Yes, there is a point that even the courts would likely view it as harassment. A situation such as you describe here could likely be considered as such. There is no bright line as to when it would turn from valid surveillance to harassment though. Each case would have to be weighed on its facts.

Strangely enough my younger brother was subject to something quite similar to what you describe and yes, the courts did consider it to be harassment. It got him out of a ticket due to the actions of the officer.

Quote Quoting nohsp4u
    View Post
    Ok, sily question, at what point does following become harrassment? It seems to me, since a cop following you makes the normal person panic, i.e worry about a light out, did i forget to signal what could be wrong with my car etc. It seems cops should or would be limited to following to 1-2 miles unless they are suspecting you of a crime that they have proof to suspect you of. i.e they suspect your DUI pull you over but you are sleepy,
    That can not be answered directly, as pointed out, each case is unique and may provide a difference in the "totality of the circumstances".

There was thread the other week about this. It seemed the officer, so the poster claimed, followed him for 30 miles before pulling him over.

Now, if the violation was witnessed well before hand, the pursuit was a waste of taxpayer money and gasoline. If proven, that officer needs a talking to.

Im sorry for not being more clear.

Following in my eyes would not being traveling down the same road. this is driving but, we travel down an interstate and then i exit, cop exits, i turn left cop turns left, i drive for three miles and cops follows, i turn right cop turns right. At this point i stop in a public area and notify 911 to ask the officer if they want my phone number if not then please leave me alone. I cant break the law with a cop on my tail Damn it. LOL

a one time deal is not going to be considered to be harassment.
    what did the cop do when you stopped?

The police have almost unlimited power concerning investigations. Its their job. Perhaps they arent following you, perhaps they are protecting you, in which case you should be glad and not make more work for them by joy riding or drawing attention to yourself. Obviously, they are letting you know something is up. Stop and think about it. Only you, know the whole story.

1. Sponsored Links