Default Birth Certificate Required for License Renewal

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Utah

I am 54 years old and have been continuously licensed to drive since I was 16. So, imagine my surprise when I went to renew my Driver's License (DL) and was told that I needed to produce a certified copy of my birth certificate (BC). The DMV then kindly issued me a DL extension and sent me on my way. Since that time, I have been searching for my BC to no avail. Then, I passive-aggressively let my extension expire. Big Mistake! When I realized my oversight, I decided to order a new certified copy of my BC. In order to do so, I had to have a notary public endorse my BC application. To my chagrin, the notary publics would not sign my application without a valid copy of my DL! Finally, I found out that a friend of mine was a notary public and could sign my application on the basis that she had personal knowledge that I was ME! Then, I triumphantly sent my new BC request on to my birth county. Well, you guessed it, my birth county will not issue a certified BC without a valid copy of my DL! I have contacted the Utah DMV several times to politely state my dillema---only to be rudely treated as if I were a terrorist. What's a girl to do? HELP! Sincerely, Catch-22ed

Default Re: Birth Certificate for License Renewal---Need Valid License to Get Bc

There are other acceptable forms of ID.

Go take a look
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Birth Certificate for License Renewal---Need Valid License to Get Bc

A word of advice, because bureaucracy is stupid: Take as many of those alternative forms of ID with you as you can scrounge up.

A couple years back, my purse was stolen on the way home from filling out new job paperwork - so I lost my state ID AND my social security card. To get a new state ID, I needed a new social security card. To get a new social security card, they preferred a DL/ID. I took my passport, marriage license, BC, and insurance card.

The agent rejected my insurance card because there was no photo, my passport because I don't look like the photo any more, and my marriage license because...wait for it...it was too old. It took yelling at two different supervisors to get the agent to accept my passport and admit that people actually do stay married for 20 years or more.

So, yes, dig 'em all up and hope you get an agent with more than a couple neurons to smash together.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Oh my gosh, I went through a similar thing but I was not only newly-widowed at the time, I was (still am) a permanent resident who then had to replace her green-card!

T'was a nightmare.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Wow. Thank you all for your prompt responses to my post. I should mention that, though I now live in Utah, I was born in California. Therefore, I have to comply with the Solano County rules for acceptable I.D. I don't have a current passport---but I do have my expired driver's license and my expired extention along with a Social Security Card, my baptismal record, copies of my high school diploma, as well as college, masters, and doctoral degrees. If those won't suffice, I may have to do the most silly of all: Ask my 88 year old father, who has a valid driver's license, to get a notary to notarize his request for MY birth certificate! I understand that things have truly changed after 9/11 but did they really have to change for the stupider? Any one who was not me, and who actually WAS a terrorist, would never put up with this nonsense! :-) catch-22ed

1. Sponsored Links