Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Got Caught Stealing at Target

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NC

I got caught shoplifting at Target, approximately less than 11 dollars worth of items. I have taken similiar amounts of items in the past, but was never caught. He asked if I had shoplifted before, and I said no. I never took more than approximately 11-15 dollars worth of items.
    When he let me go, he said I wasn't allowed back in the store, and he said that if I had been lying about previously shoplifting he was going to call the police. Is he going to go back and look over the tapes?

Default Re: Got Caught Stealing at Target

Is he going to go back and look over the tapes?
    You would have to ask him.

If he does, will I get charged?

honestly, I wouldn't expect it but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Unless he has the time to set around and review hundreds, if not thousands of hours of video, he isn't going to watch all that to maybe catch you doing something.

That doesn't mean he can't still call the police concerning this theft just because he changed his mind though.

I'll give a couple more details--it was actually at a Wallmart, I said Target in the initial post because I was scared. I will never, ever do anything like this again, and I have no idea why I would ever start such a horrible habbit in the first place.
    I'm terrified that they're going to go back over the tapes and collect information from previous times based on when I was there with my Wallmart card. I'm such a moron, I'm never going to do this again, but can they do that?

Meaning, what can they charge me with from previous times?

if they can show you committed a crime via the evidence obtained through the video system, yes, you can be charged with the crime. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a visit from the police. If they decide to review that tapes, there is nothing you can do about that or whether they file a police report or not so you might as well quit worrying until you see proof they have found something.

Any other thoughts? I'm honestly terrified, which I completely deserve, and will never do this again. But is there a very good liklihood that the police will call me?

I just don't know what to tell you. While anything is possible, personally, I doubt anything more is going to come of it.

Can someone help me with this question--when would I be contacted by the police if a report has been filed? The day of? The day after?

You need to calm down. Do not let it concern you until it needs to concern you. There is no telling if they will review the video, how long it will take, whether they will contact the police if they find anything, how long it will take the police to investigate if they do report it or how long it would be before the police came a'knockin either to talk to you or arrest you.

Focus on dealing with the charge you know exists rather than obsessing over the charge that may never exist.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast