Default Caught Shoplifting on a Military Base

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas

I was caught shoplifting from Aafes in Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. It was definitely a momentary lack of judgement. I have never stolen before and I have nothing besides a couple speeding tickets on my civilian record, and nothing on my military record besides this. I was wondering since this was my first (and only) offense, if there was a way to get the records sealed. I know loss prevention made a report and I believe that it shows up just as "An Incident" when a background check is done. Please give any info that you can...

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting on a Military Base

Did the military police or civilian law enforcement respond and issue you a citation/arrest you? It's possible that you may get away with non-judicial punishment through your CO or they may forward it for a possible Article 32 hearing. If you are charged federally, it's pretty much there to stay. If it is a state charge and you are convicted, it's pretty much there to stay. Texas allows for sealing under certain circumstances.

The military police came and arrested me, took me back to the station and I had to write and sign a statement. I was released to my company after that was completed. My punishment was a reduction in rank E-3 to E-2, LOR put in my MRPJ for 3 years, 6 month suspension from the PX/BX and counseling. So, I guess I'm asking if I apply for a job as a civilian will it show up in a background check? Is there a way to get it completely sealed?

The arrest itself might. Not all background checks are created equal. If you apply for a civilian position with a government contractor, it's pretty much a definite they'll find out about it. If asked on an application if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you can truthfully answer no since you received NJP and not a CM. If asked if you have ever been arrested, the answer is no. I'm not familiar with any way to seal a federal arrest record but perhaps someone else can chime in.

I think I can apply for a record correction through the military, but I'm not sure who to ask about that. JAG maybe? I learned from my mistake and have been flying straight ever since. Thank you so much!

1. Sponsored Links